Client computers ics problems

B

bigfella

I have three computers on a network, Duron 1.1 as the host, AMD450 as client# 1 and Cell 500 as client #2. XP operating system on all three, hooked up to a hub. Internet was working fine on all three computers for awhile and now the Celeron 500 machine will only navigate to certain websites only and is very slow. I am using DSL internet. I formatted the Celeron 500 and reinstalled os and still have the same problem. Cant seem to find what is wrong need help:mad: :mad:

I have a similar setup on my computer network also. Basically four computers connected to a hub, three are win2k's and the one that I'm working on right now is xp-pro. My "server" is one of the 2k boxes. I have Zone Alarm Pro running on it, an internal DSL modem, and an ICS program, called Sygate.

One thing I would check is "ipconfig/all" from the command line, and verify that the DNS servers on your computers match the DNS servers that your ISP issued; they generally never change. If you have to add DNS servers (at least one), you can add them by going to control panel, network connections, and choose your local area connection. Then right click on it, go to properties, choose internet protocol (tcp/ip), click properties, click the radio button to manually enter dns server addresses, and then enter the ip address of at least one dns server your isp gave you. If there are two, then enter them both.

I'm not sure if my computer would slowly connect to only certain web sites without this DNS settings, but it basically takes a long time, and I'm too impatient to see if it connects at all.

Hopefully that will help you out.

Also, make sure that you are sharing that internet connection, and if you have a firewall (recommended especially with DSL), make sure that it is allowing outgoing and incoming traffic for web access.

Sorry for the long winded message, I tend to be very well detailed on my posts, especially if it deals with tech support.

same have few of mine shared through another xp machine to dsl
the web on some sites on the shared machines can be slow, including this very site

Most sites will not open up at all. Did all the checks, no luck. Any other suggestions.

How much traffic are you pushing through the hub, with the other pc disconnected from the hub do you have the same problems? Can you ping the sites that you're unable to browse to? Can you ping anything? Try 204.147.80.5 if you can ping that then you're connected properly, then try pinging yahoo.com, if you can ping that DNS is working properly. If you get any kind of loss when you do these pings, then you might wanna check the ethernet cable for bends & possible replace it, try switching to a diff port on the hub, & maybe even re-install with the latest NIC drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back