clicking noise on GPU fan?

zapoqx

Striking Master
Just as a question...
I have a clicking noise eminating from my GPU's Fan. I figured out that it was the fan by checking if I touch the fan just slightly to slow it down, the noise stops. While this is a temp GPU for a while, will this be any bother to the GPU for a while? I'm not expecting to use this 6 months. In case you need any info:
Its a 512MB Radeon X550

Thanks in advance

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
my old radoon x800 xl did the same thing after about a year of use. i ignored it for another month and the fan stopped working completely. was an expensive piece of crap, never buying ati again :angry:

i couldn't find a fan that would fit, nor could i go weeks/months without a PC by sending it in. ended up giving it away and buying a geforce 7900 instead.

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
It's a sign it is dying. It could be the blades hitting the fan cage, a bearing in trouble or if you are really lucky the wires going to the fan vibrating or touching the blades as they spin.

If it's the wires move them away from the blades and it wil stop.

The blades hitting the fan cage you might be able to bend the cage a little. Risky, the blades break off easy and if one breaks the fan is shot.

The bearing going... Some people have reported success for a while by adding a drop of light motor oil into the fan bearing. I have not tried this. If you try it use very little oil.

Best bet is a replacement.
http://www.directron.com/vichfa.html
They are cheap enough but making sure you have the right one is a pain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut