clicking noise on GPU fan?

zapoqx

Striking Master
Just as a question...
I have a clicking noise eminating from my GPU's Fan. I figured out that it was the fan by checking if I touch the fan just slightly to slow it down, the noise stops. While this is a temp GPU for a while, will this be any bother to the GPU for a while? I'm not expecting to use this 6 months. In case you need any info:
Its a 512MB Radeon X550

Thanks in advance

sounds like a bearing in the fan ..or a tooth in the fan gear is bad.

my old radoon x800 xl did the same thing after about a year of use. i ignored it for another month and the fan stopped working completely. was an expensive piece of crap, never buying ati again :angry:

i couldn't find a fan that would fit, nor could i go weeks/months without a PC by sending it in. ended up giving it away and buying a geforce 7900 instead.

It's a sign it is dying. It could be the blades hitting the fan cage, a bearing in trouble or if you are really lucky the wires going to the fan vibrating or touching the blades as they spin.

If it's the wires move them away from the blades and it wil stop.

The blades hitting the fan cage you might be able to bend the cage a little. Risky, the blades break off easy and if one breaks the fan is shot.

The bearing going... Some people have reported success for a while by adding a drop of light motor oil into the fan bearing. I have not tried this. If you try it use very little oil.

Best bet is a replacement.
http://www.directron.com/vichfa.html
They are cheap enough but making sure you have the right one is a pain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back