Clearmem

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
Alright, I downloaded and used Clearmem. As soon as I run it, my ram is at about 3meg, then it almost immediatley jumps to about 300meg useage. Is this normal? And if it is, what is the point???? Or am I just misssing something?

It uses all the memory it can and then frees it...

I use it on my server... Works good...

if you look at how much free physical memory you have just before you run it then lokk at the same after, you may be surprised how much can be freed up, even when you think you arent running anything!

yes...THERE IS NO REASON TO FREE RAM...xp frees ram whenever it needs it, and using a program to manage memory will cause a sacrifice in performance...xp IS NOT 9X, just let xp manage your memory...you shoul not let xp manage your page file, and should set this manually

What was the rule of thumb for setting the page file again? 1.5 times physical ram? as I recall, the initial should be the same as maximum...

1.5=rule of thumb, BUT...when setting your pagefile try setting both the max & min to 384, this should be more than adequate for anyone since you shouldn't even be running XP with less than 256MB of RAM. This will give a total of 640MB if needed, I have yet to see any program or combination of programs that require that much RAM (with possibly the exception of some serious video editing). I have 384MB and while runnung XP with my firewall, AV app and IE I don't even use 40% of my physical RAM. My point is the old "rule of thumb" of setting your pagefile to 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM gets ridiculous when you have as much RAM as people have today, remember this rule of thumb came about when 32 - 64MB of RAM was ALOT, I know applications use alot more RAM than they did a few years ago, but sticking to that rule is a waste of harddrive space with todays system specs. Just my opinion....please note, original author of the above paragraph=mnosteele

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back