Clearing XP Past Items (Useful)

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
Use this useful little VB Script to clear all those unwanted past items that tend to stay in the 'Right Click Start Menu > Properties > Taskbar Tab > Customize area.

Used it myself and it's safe.

In case my poor attempt at describing what it clears wasn't, er, clear, see the attached:

Worked for me. Not reboot required.

lechtard...you're using XP i presume? Not sure why it wouldnt work if you are.

This is the code, perhaps you could follow it and do it manually:

'xp_pastitems.vbs - Remove Past Items from the System Tray
'Based on fixes by Doug Knox and Kelly Theriot.
'© Doug Knox and Kelly Theriot - 8/23/2003

Message = "To work correctly, the script will close" & vbCR
Message = Message & "and restart the Windows Explorer shell." & vbCR
Message = Message & "This will not harm your system." & vbCR & vbCR
Message = Message & "Continue?"

X = MsgBox(Message, vbYesNo, "Notice")

If X = 6 Then

On Error Resume Next

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify\IconStreams"
WshShell.RegDelete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify\PastIconStreams"

Set WshShell = Nothing

On Error GoTo 0

For Each Process in GetObject("winmgmts:"). _
ExecQuery ("select * from Win32_Process where name='explorer.exe'")
Process.terminate(0)
Next

MsgBox "Finished." & vbcr & vbcr & "© Doug Knox and Kelly Theriot", 4096, "Done"

Else

MsgBox "No changes were made to your system." & vbcr & vbcr & "© Doug Knox and Kelly Theriot", 4096, "User Cancelled"

End If

Ah, I see it restarts the Explorer shell in order to prevent a full reboot. I usually used to delete the keys and restart for the changes to take effect. Closing and re-opening Explorer from Task Manager should do the trick.

@letchard:
Try going through it manually. Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify\
Then delete the two values in the right-side pane: "IconStreams" "PastIconStreams"
Close Regedit, open up Task Manager, select explorer.exe and kill the task, then click File>New Task and type explorer.
:)

Originally posted by NetRyder
@letchard:
Try going through it manually. Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify\
Then delete the two values in the right-side pane: "IconStreams" "PastIconStreams"
Close Regedit, open up Task Manager, select explorer.exe and kill the task, then click File>New Task and type explorer.
:)
This is what I did - basiclly,, I did it and rebooted .. I'll try it the way you mentioned and see what happens .. Thanx for the info ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back