Cleaning up system and other files

• Thread starter mazspeed@redshi
  • Start date
M

mazspeed@redshi

What is safe in XP pro to get rid of without damaging the OS?

Thanks in Advance all
Cheers
Mike

indeed we can only tell you if a file is good/bad if we know it. i would sugest running a registry/spyware cleaner 2 get rid off unwanted extra files as well as deleting temp files.

this hidden folder can get full over time
& the contents are safe to delete

C:\Documents and Settings\ Username \Local Settings\Temp

:cool:

also recent documents

C:\Documents and Settings\ Username \Local Settings\recent documents i think....it's also hiden:cool:

Thanks guys... I do have JV powertools and it does work pretty good.. was just looking to clean things up a bit

Thanks and Cheers
Mike

Originally posted by Henyman
also recent documents

C:\Documents and Settings\ Username \Local Settings\recent documents i think....it's also hiden:cool:

actully, it is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Recent, if you go to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME, look for an icon (it's going to be hidden) that says My Recent Documents

Originally posted by scsa20
actully, it is C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Recent, if you go to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME, look for an icon (it's going to be hidden) that says My Recent Documents

thanx i was @ skool so couldn't cheak it:cool:

If you update XP via Windows Update and pull down the latest hotfixes, XP creates a backup of altered files,etc. in your C:\Windows folder, can't remember the folder name, but they should be at the top of the folder list.

As long as you're updates are working OK, it should be ok to delete the backup folders - to test, move the folders into another folder (i.e. c:\todelete) and restart your PC, if everything works out ok (and there should be no reason why it shouldn't) it's safe to delete the folders from the c:\todelete folder.

Obviously without the backup, you won't be able to uninstall that hotfix from the add/remove programs list.

Dan

Ok, can I delete stuff in my G:\WINDOWS\Installer files? I have about 15 windows installer programs in there? is this safe to get rid of?

Thanks again everyone for your help
Cheers
Mike

Originally posted by mazspeed@redshi
Ok, can I delete stuff in my G:\WINDOWS\Installer files? I have about 15 windows installer programs in there? is this safe to get rid of?

Thanks again everyone for your help
Cheers
Mike

I wouldn't recommend deleting anything from the windows folder

check out this freeware app to see exactly where you disk space is going

Ever wondered why your hard disk is full? Or what directory is taking up most of the space? When using conventional disk browsing tools, such as Windows Explorer, these questions may be hard to answer. With SequoiaView however, they can be answered almost immediately. SequoiaView uses a visualization technique called cushion treemaps to provide you with a single picture of the entire contents of your hard drive. You can use it to locate those large files that you haven't accessed in one year, or to quickly locate the largest picture files on your drive. The screenshots below give a first impression of the original cushion treemaps:

http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

Hello to all users of osnn.My name is smlkingi I a net surfer,freeloader.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back