ameilius

OSNN Addict
i got sent a replacement hard drive from gateway, sata 80gb

bios sees the hard drive

but when i load windows home setup, it tells me theres no hard drive

any ideas?

gateway tech is clueless

please help

FYI - i know i have to load the sata controller drivers (which ive found)

heres the problem...

i have no floppy :(

You should be able to burn those onto a bootable CD, or better still slipstream them into a copy of your windows CD with Service Pack 2. You may even be able to put them onto a USB disk and get them from there.

Correct me if I am wrong, but XP does not support loading F6 drivers from a device other than a floppy.

2003 and Vista are only capable of that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but XP does not support loading F6 drivers from a device other than a floppy.

2003 and Vista are only capable of that.

you are correct.. XP only supports 3rd party drivers during install from a floppy.

As mentioned, you are looking at needing to slipstream them onto a new install disk (but, if this is your only computer, you're probably SOL on that one unless you know someone else with a computer and a burner to slipstream a new install disk).

The other alternative is to go out and buy a USB Floppy drive. These will 95% of the time be recognized by the XP install as a regular floppy. Pop the driver onto the floppy/USB Floppy drive, hit your F6 and load your drivers and away you go..

On the subject of USB floppy devices. I've read there are very few of these actually work during XP installation.

IBM USB Portable (part number ASM P/N 27L4226 or FRU P/N 05K9283) is known to work.

On the subject of USB floppy devices. I've read there are very few of these actually work during XP installation.

IBM USB Portable (part number ASM P/N 27L4226 or FRU P/N 05K9283) is known to work.
Yup, saw that in Maximum PC too. Those are only two of the three known models that will work, no mention of the third but apparently it won't be "found" anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back