i got sent a replacement hard drive from gateway, sata 80gb

bios sees the hard drive

but when i load windows home setup, it tells me theres no hard drive

any ideas?

gateway tech is clueless

please help

ameilius

OSNN Addict
FYI - i know i have to load the sata controller drivers (which ive found)

heres the problem...

i have no floppy :(

ray_gillespie

Staff member
Political User
You should be able to burn those onto a bootable CD, or better still slipstream them into a copy of your windows CD with Service Pack 2. You may even be able to put them onto a USB disk and get them from there.

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Correct me if I am wrong, but XP does not support loading F6 drivers from a device other than a floppy.

2003 and Vista are only capable of that.

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
Correct me if I am wrong, but XP does not support loading F6 drivers from a device other than a floppy.

2003 and Vista are only capable of that.
you are correct.. XP only supports 3rd party drivers during install from a floppy.

As mentioned, you are looking at needing to slipstream them onto a new install disk (but, if this is your only computer, you're probably SOL on that one unless you know someone else with a computer and a burner to slipstream a new install disk).

The other alternative is to go out and buy a USB Floppy drive. These will 95% of the time be recognized by the XP install as a regular floppy. Pop the driver onto the floppy/USB Floppy drive, hit your F6 and load your drivers and away you go..

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
On the subject of USB floppy devices. I've read there are very few of these actually work during XP installation.

IBM USB Portable (part number ASM P/N 27L4226 or FRU P/N 05K9283) is known to work.

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
On the subject of USB floppy devices. I've read there are very few of these actually work during XP installation.

IBM USB Portable (part number ASM P/N 27L4226 or FRU P/N 05K9283) is known to work.
Yup, saw that in Maximum PC too. Those are only two of the three known models that will work, no mention of the third but apparently it won't be "found" anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilabreeding