classic start menu messed up

N

npfanz

I don't know why, but for some reason my classic start menu is messed up. There is just a black bar where the windows xp words are supposed to be along the left side (see attached). Any ideas why? I use true launch bar, but even when I disable that it is messed up. That was my only idea.
Thanks!

I agree with Hipster. Try changing themes. You might want to try to change to something besides a built in Windows theme (try style xp or "editing" your uxtheme.dll file). You might find somethin that you like better in the process anyway.

Kind of a shot in the dark but if changing the theme doesn't work you could try running System File Check. Go to start and then run. In the dialog box type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. You will need your XP CD disk for this to work. Good Luck

Because you are missing a couple of menus (Help and Find) from the start bar, the actual graphic that says "windows xp blah blah" is too big to fitinto that gap so instead it just goes black
add more items to your menu and you find that the graphic comes back....

Thanks for the ideas. Actually, I had to get into the registry to get rid of those icons like help, etc. from the classic start menu, but I've had those gone for a long time. The blue bitmap still displayed along the side. That anomaly remained regardless of which theme I tried and I even used reshacker to look at the bitmap from explorer.exe (it was like #168 or something like that) and the bitmap wasn't damaged. I ended up just system restoring to a few days ago and now it looks fine. I really don't know what it was that was preventing that bitmap from showing up. Very very strange, but thanks everyone for your ideas!

Just had a look @ my start menu in classic & it did the same as yours
StartMenu.JPG

start menu properties - customise -
select show small icons in start menu
StartMenuOptions.JPG

that should do the trick
StartMenuFixed.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back