Chrome v/s FF v/s Opera v/s IE8

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I have all 4 browsers on my system right now and have been dabbling with them a fair bit. The general consensus for me is ease of use, speed and rendering.

Thus far, I have to say that the latest builds of Chrome have been amazing. The engine is FAST and I love the default search in the address line. The look is clean and the browser does not have a lot of frivolous features that bog it down. I also love the way the bookmarks are handled. Clean, simple, out of the way. Chrome has been one of the fastest browsers for me on all websites. I am a little annoyed that I cannot change my default media player, but I am sure someone will share their pearls of wisdom with me.

Also, splitting up the tabs into individual processes helps immensely. I have had a tab freeze up on me and it's been as simple as going into task manager and closing the faulty process and all back to normal :D

FF3 is my 2nd most used browser and it remains my standard for a lot of sites. I like the way the extensions work for me but, I have found I don't need all those extensions :) It is also the slowest of the browsers for me in most of the sites I go to.

Opera is probably the bog standard fall-back for me. It is light, fast, simple and has low memory usage. I have noticed some rendering issues on a couple of sites but other than that, no complaints. Along with Chrome, the fastest browser of the lot for me going between the multitude of sites I visit.

IE8 is the newest addition to my stable and I am shocked at how fast it was compared to my old experiences. A lot of issues I had with IE7 have gone and it seems to have become even faster. It is a beta so there are still some issues and the first load of a page is still slower than Chrome or Opera, but it is definitely faster than FF3.

In conclusion. Chrome FTW :D

Chrome is my default browser on Windows, I don't use anything else if I can avoid it.

I'd like to make chrome my default browser, but the lack of extensions makes it a no-go for me unfortunately. There are some extensions that I cannot live without anymore, but as soon as Chrome starts getting some good ones I'll be switching over from Firefox.

FF3 has never let me down. it renders the pages quickly and does what its supposed to do. opera, lost me along time ago. the way it caches pages is like fat bastard at an all you can eat buffet. IE forget it. but Chrome is beginning to grow on me. needs more work but its going in the right direction.

I guess I would use chrome if they'd let me lock the fav suite and let me move it to the left

can you do that yet?

I haven't tried the new chrome yet. I might have to ... I been on this as little in my pc as I can kick lately ...

Once Chrome gets extensions, it will probably over take my 4 year love for Firefox.

My experience mirrors yours, more or less - but it is interesting to hear about IE8, since my fallback is IE7 rather than Opera. I am actually somewhat extension averse to Chrome, the point of it is to be lightweight - so extensions are likely to defeat the object and are not an issue to me.

About the only extension/s I would consider are ad-block and stylish honestly.

Everything else I have managed to find a workaround for in one way or another (for the ones I use).

Even all-on-one sidebar/bookmarks tool for FF is rendered obsolete by the excellent bookmarks manager in Chrome :D

About the only extension/s I would consider are ad-block and stylish honestly.

Everything else I have managed to find a workaround for in one way or another (for the ones I use).

Even all-on-one sidebar/bookmarks tool for FF is rendered obsolete by the excellent bookmarks manager in Chrome :D

Not so easy for me, I use 52 Extensions, and yes I USE them all.

if people are needing an adblocker where a browser doesn't support plugins, you'll want to look at http://www.admuncher.com/ a friend of mine helps with development and support of the ad-blocking rules.

can you show me a screen shot of how you've got your bookmarks managed?

I can't get the manager to do anything I want it to do, for instance I think I could get by with the bookmark toolbar but that shows some bookmarks that I don't want shown, or if I could pin the bookmarks panel that wouldbe good too.

it's a nice browser but bookmark navigation is what really speeds me up and I can't figure out how to set my bookmarks up the way I want to on this browser

Not so easy for me, I use 52 Extensions, and yes I USE them all.
I would love to see that list. Other then blocking ads/flash I don't see the need for extensions. If you need that many your browser if flawed perhaps. ;)

can you show me a screen shot of how you've got your bookmarks managed?

I can't get the manager to do anything I want it to do, for instance I think I could get by with the bookmark toolbar but that shows some bookmarks that I don't want shown, or if I could pin the bookmarks panel that wouldbe good too.

it's a nice browser but bookmark navigation is what really speeds me up and I can't figure out how to set my bookmarks up the way I want to on this browser

It's a pretty simple setup.

I just like efficiency. All my spreadsheets are simple, efficient, easy to use as well. I guess I'm just **** like that.

It's a pretty simple setup.

I just like efficiency. All my spreadsheets are simple, efficient, easy to use as well. I guess I'm just **** like that.
ah, you don't have it pinned either, for my work it would only be efficient if I can pin it

I hope they get that going cuz otherwise I would use this browser

I think I am going to try it out. The screenies of it look really nice. Of course, I liked the first one also :)

ah, you don't have it pinned either, for my work it would only be efficient if I can pin it

I hope they get that going cuz otherwise I would use this browser

In chrome, I don't want to pin it.

It's much more convenient the way it is.

I actually have it hidden most of the time and use Ctrl+B to bring up the bar and then select the bookmarks :)

It's simple.

I have it installed. Looks nice, so far :) I will be playing with it here and see ... I really do like this browser ..

I was just looking at the chrome site and they have some cool things for it. Only thing is, do they have a spell checker with it ? that is about all I will need as far as extensions go :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back