News Chrome 7 Will Be 60x Faster Than Chrome 6

With Internet Explorer 9 hitting public beta a few days ago, it's Google's turn to hit the spotlight with its own web browser, Google Chrome.

Microsoft's claim that IE9 will feature full hardware acceleration of HTML5 is starting to attract attention; now Google is unveiling some impressive stats of its own in order to get a share of the new browser interest.

Google now claims that its next browser, Chrome 7, will be an incredible 60 times faster than Chrome 6, and will feature 2D graphics performance and canvas acceleration. According to James Robertson, a software engineer at Google, Chrome "picks the best graphics API to use on each OS that Chromium supports: Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS and Linux".

For more information and a cracking video preview, have a look at Neowin.net here.

So, your problem is with Flash (an Adobe plugin) not really with FF though. On Windows Flash has a separate update for each browser, perhaps your FF version was lagging behind. It could have also been that the site you visited gets more FF traffic then IE (who uses IE?) and the bad guys geared the exploit for that particular version of Flash via FF. Anyhoo I would suggest getting something like flashblock so that only legit flash content shows and reduces your chances of flash exploits a tiny bit.

you're missing the point, firefox is the only browser I get the virus alerts so it's behind ie and chrome for insolating the problems I am experiencing

yes, I agree, it's adobe flash that has the actual security issues but the other browsers are better at handling that security issue

I keep my firefox updated through the native automatic updater and it's happened on every version for a while, though to be fair that was on vista and I am now running 7 so we'll see

if I do get the issue again I'll get that flashblock plug in, thanx for the reference

anyway, chrome is it for me now, I'll of course try ie

You all do realise that the current safest way to browse the internet (at least on windows) is to use IE8 in a limited user account on windows 7 with UAC cranked to full? That setup defeats 90% of viruses before they get anywhere.

MSSE kills the remaining 10% that do find a way through.

For a lot of people though for various reasons use other browsers and loose out on the added security of ie8 on windows 7.

This posted using Opera and a standard admin mode user account on windows 7... :p

You all do realise that the current safest way to browse the internet (at least on windows) is to use IE8 in a limited user account on windows 7 with UAC cranked to full? That setup defeats 90% of viruses before they get anywhere.

For a lot of people though for various reasons use other browsers and loose out on the added security of ie8 on windows 7.

This posted using Opera and a standard admin mode user account on windows 7... :p

I don't like opera ...

chrome is great, i could never quire firefox because i depend on some off the adons like mixtab, adblockplus, etc

You have extensions in Chrome as well.

There really is no excuse to not use Chrome, unless you are a big fan of Firefox in which case it is perfectly fine to use what you prefer.

I use IE9 at work, and love it, and I use Chrome at home (use it for non-intranet sites at work).

I see a lot of Firefox users hating on Chrome and IE9 blindly. Firefox hasn't had a good release since perhaps FF3, but has definitely been surpassed in almost every conceivable way by both Microsoft and Chrome in all aspects.

I decided to try the new chromium in my mac. So far I like it. I come to just deal with the "open with" missing .. :)

Easier way would be to not run Windows, then you don't have to worry about IE at all. Chrome runs on most all the others and is the topic of the thread. :rolleyes:

Easier way would be to not run Windows, then you don't have to worry about IE at all. Chrome runs on most all the others and is the topic of the thread. :rolleyes:

Windows is the bog standard. Why would you NOT want to run the standard? This is a ridiculous recommendation especially given what businesses run.

Regarding IE, many intranet sites/apps still require IE so it is another element of TCO to standardize on IE.

I personally use IE9 at work and it's plenty fast :D

Windows is the bog standard. Why would you NOT want to run the standard? This is a ridiculous recommendation especially given what businesses run.

Regarding IE, many intranet sites/apps still require IE so it is another element of TCO to standardize on IE.

I personally use IE9 at work and it's plenty fast :D

If we all stuck to the "standard" we wouldn't have Chrome, Safari ... heck webkit even. We also wouldn't have any competition or innovation. I think many see how this lack of innovation is doing for MS (still making gobs of $ but losing marketshare to any viable alternative).

Also basing what you do with your personal system on what businesses do is kinda crazy. They are always the last to adopt new tech due to the amount of legacy hardware/software many run.

Anyhoo, the thread is about Chrome, not IE/Microsoft. :)

I will never use IE again. it will never be as good as firefox, chrome, or opera - or even Safari for that matter ..

Ya looks like 7 will be passed over.

Nice way to confuse people as both 7 and 8 are available.

Attachments

• chrome 8.jpg
    chrome 8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 123
What are the changes? With it going from 6 to 8, there should be some major changes ..

Note: Chrome 7 is in public beta now. So, I downloaded it ..

thanks to this thread I tried ie9 and they solved their slow tabs problem, launches very fast and the tabs snap to it

I also downloaded chrome8, really don't see an inprovement, it launches pretty much the same as their previous version, though when you get that fast an improvement is harder to track

funny though, I see, once you get used to one browser the others you try are not as comfortable but I think I'm gonna switch back ti ie now that the tab problem is solved

Chrome 8 is for dev. Chrome 7 is for beta and 6 is for stable. :) Everyday users shouldn't be confused at all. If you go to a download link you get Chrome 6, you only get something else if you purposefully search it out.

Chrome 8 doesn't really have that many new features yet as it is a work in progress and not 100% ready for testing like beta and thus is a dev build. :)

*edit* - and if you want info first hand read the blog: Google Chrome Releases

I need Chrome 7.0.53 and it is not available for mac .. <- This is the one with the new features ...

I need Chrome 7.0.53 and it is not available for mac .. <- This is the one with the new features ...

What new features? And do you mean 7.0.536.2 or something different then that (thats a dev build - and dev is now 8.x). Are you running Stable, Beta, or Dev?

I updated to 8.0, trying to get the side tabs, but they aren't available for mac yet. I was doing some reading and they said that you need that canary build 7.0.536.2 to get it ...

8.0 has some of the labs features, but not side tabs - For MAc that is ..

I updated to 8.0, trying to get the side tabs, but they aren't available for mac yet. I was doing some reading and they said that you need that canary build 7.0.536.2 to get it ...

8.0 has some of the labs features, but not side tabs - For MAc that is ..

Does the –enable-vertical-tabs switch still work on Mac builds?

Source: How-To New

Does the –enable-vertical-tabs switch still work on Mac builds?

Source: How-To New

I was thinking that was just for windows. I will try it with my MAC here and see if it works ..

[edit] That says that is only native on mac, but the instructions are for windows. I want it to work on my mac. [/edit]

[ edit][edit] I tried the switch, and it didn't work for mac. From what I read ,tabs to the left is only avalable on windows. It isn't for mac yet. Mac tabpose is, which I already have actvated .. [/edit [/edit]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back