News Chrome 7 Will Be 60x Faster Than Chrome 6

With Internet Explorer 9 hitting public beta a few days ago, it's Google's turn to hit the spotlight with its own web browser, Google Chrome.

Microsoft's claim that IE9 will feature full hardware acceleration of HTML5 is starting to attract attention; now Google is unveiling some impressive stats of its own in order to get a share of the new browser interest.

Google now claims that its next browser, Chrome 7, will be an incredible 60 times faster than Chrome 6, and will feature 2D graphics performance and canvas acceleration. According to James Robertson, a software engineer at Google, Chrome "picks the best graphics API to use on each OS that Chromium supports: Windows XP/Vista/7, Mac OS and Linux".

For more information and a cracking video preview, have a look at Neowin.net here.

I never thought I would switch from ie but man I love chrome, I don't see an actual increase in internet speed but the browser and tabs launch so much faster it's scary

I can't imagine this thing doing 60 exxe

I'm running 7.0.517.8 dev right now. I can't say how much faster then 6.x it is (not 60x yet) but it is fast. I'm just not sure why anyone would run IE anymore unless they had to.

Did they make any changes in chrome 7? or is it just the same gui and same functionality with a different name?

Did they make any changes in chrome 7? or is it just the same gui and same functionality with a different name?

They make changes in every "major" version. Right now most are in the process of being put in (like about:labs, hardware acceleration, ect.). The GUI has also changed some. Believe only the dev version of 7 exist right now.

I'm just not sure why anyone would run IE anymore unless they had to.

until chrome there really wasn't anything faster, ie is an integral part of explorer and no other browser launched as fast and used more memory, as far as web site speed, I couldn't see any difference between any browser, possibly opera but their gui wasn't comfortable

chrome launches faster then any other browser including ie, no other browser does that, it launches tabs faster then any other browser as well and I don't even see a huge memory or cpu footprint that explains the added speed

as far as internet speed, I don't see any difference

before I discovered I could put my favorites in the tool bar up top on chrome I could not use chrome and ie is clearly better (to me) then any other browser

so there you have it

most ie users who won't switch to chrome want their favorites sweet and while I do make a sacrifice using chrome as far as my favorites sweet, it's not such a big sacrifice

if ie solves their tab glitch and matches the speed of chrome's launch, switching back is a no brainer

Last edited:
until chrome there really wasn't anything faster, ie is an integral part of explorer and no other browser launched as fast and used more memory, as far as web site speed, I couldn't see any difference between any browser, possibly opera but their gui wasn't comfortable

chrome launches faster then any other browser including ie, no other browser does that, it launches tabs faster then any other browser as well and I don't even see a huge memory or cpu footprint that explains the added speed

as far as internet speed, I don't see any difference

before I discovered I could put my favorites in the tool bar up top on chrome I could not use chrome and ie is clearly better (to me) then any other browser

so there you have it

most ie users who won't switch to chrome want their favorites sweet and while I do make a sacrifice using chrome as far as my favorites sweet, it's not such a big sacrifice

if ie solves their tab glitch and matches the speed of chrome's launch, switching back is a no brainer
what do you mean by "favorites sweet"?

G
chrome is great, i could never quire firefox because i depend on some off the adons like mixtab, adblockplus, etc

what do you mean by "favorites sweet"?

I like all my favorites in the side bar, do you have a solution for this in chrome?

the favorites bar on top only allows for a few and still read what the site is, I know I can put up folders but that's not the same as a favorite sweet in the side bar, if you know how to make that happen in chrome would much appreciate it

I like all my favorites in the side bar, do you have a solution for this in chrome?

the favorites bar on top only allows for a few and still read what the site is, I know I can put up folders but that's not the same as a favorite sweet in the side bar, if you know how to make that happen in chrome would much appreciate it

Seems like there was a --enable-sidebar or something that you could use at one point ... I did find chrome://bookmarks that does something similar ... not sure why you would want either though :p

IE9 will probably also be nothing but one big security hole ...
fiirefox gives is far worse then ie, far more virus alerts then ie, as a matter of fact, the only virus that ever came through my security protocol was through firefox flash and it was a bad one, a root kit, I never got those going to the same sites with ie

Last edited:
IE9 has beefed up security and now has a download manager that will warn you if a file is suspicious.

IE9 will tell you what add-ons are slowing down the browser.

Enterprise Security Today | IE9 Beta Warns of Malware, Problems with Add-Ons

So far I like IE9 and OSNN member Vishal has some tips to tweak the browser on his site.

Technology News, Internet, Tips-n-Tricks, Tutorials, Software Reviews, Themes, Skins, Wallpapers

I also like this:
Like other web browsers, the IE9 beta features a combined address bar where users can type web addresses as well as start searches -- but with one notable difference, Hachamovitch observed. "IE9 respects your privacy and doesn't send your keystrokes to search services by default," he said. "But it's under my control and I can very easily, with one click, turn that on, and I'll get suggestions."

fiirefox gives is far worse then ie, far more virus alerts then ie, as a matter of fact, the only virus that ever came through my security protocol was through firefox flash and it was a bad one, a root kit, I never got those going to the same sites with ie

If the only security issue you had was with flash then you have issues with Adobe products (flash) not FF or IE. plugins != browser

IE9 has beefed up security and now has a download manager that will warn you if a file is suspicious.

IE9 will tell you what add-ons are slowing down the browser.

Enterprise Security Today | IE9 Beta Warns of Malware, Problems with Add-Ons

So far I like IE9 and OSNN member Vishal has some tips to tweak the browser on his site.

Technology News, Internet, Tips-n-Tricks, Tutorials, Software Reviews, Themes, Skins, Wallpapers

I also like this: ... "IE9 respects your privacy and doesn't send your keystrokes to search services by default,"...

When has a new MS product not boasted about "beefed up security"? You can also check the stats of your plugins and tabs in Chrome rather easily and kill/reclaim memory from they if you want. Also the malware/virus whatnot should be covered by the anti-virus your already running on a Windows box. I guess I just never fell in love with IE and it looks/feels so awful these days I couldn't imagine going back to it.

IE9 is faster than Firefox and comes close to Chrome.

Since IE9 is still beta they may be able to bump up the speed to match or beat Chrome before IE9 goes final.

IE9 vs. Chrome vs. Firefox vs. Opera Performance

Just followed that link ... not sure I would have linked to that, and certainly would not base my argument on that.

Versions used in this "benchmark" aren't even comparable. A "preview" (alpha? beta?) of IE9 vs a very very old version of Chrome. Two versions of FireFox were used, both older then the *new* 4.x version in the works. Also a copy of Safari without a version. The only one that could be considered close to ok would be the version of Opera.

I am willing to bet you have not even tried IE9 and if that is the case you should not post about things you have not tried.

Search around and you will find other comparisons that show how IE9 stacks up against Chrome 6 and Firefox 4 so far.

Personally, I think in the future the battle will be between Chrome and IE with Firefox fading away.

For now I am going to wait for IE9 to go final or at least RC before I test again against the other browsers then make my decision on which to use.

If the only security issue you had was with flash then you have issues with Adobe products (flash) not FF or IE. plugins != browser.

a virus through a flash movie was the only one that got through. it wasn't the only issue, I do not get virus alerts when cruising through ie or chrome, I get them all the time through firefox

I am willing to bet you have not even tried IE9 and if that is the case you should not post about things you have not tried.

Search around and you will find other comparisons that show how IE9 stacks up against Chrome 6 and Firefox 4 so far.

Personally, I think in the future the battle will be between Chrome and IE with Firefox fading away.

For now I am going to wait for IE9 to go final or at least RC before I test again against the other browsers then make my decision on which to use.

So your willing to stand by a shoddy comparison of a *new* (yet unreleased IE9) vs older versions of many common browsers? Shouldn't the playing field at least be kinda fair and Chrome 7 [the reason for this thread] and FF4 be in that test?

Also the fact that IE is Windows only makes it a non-starter for me, and FF is fading away. If you want Gecko go Seamonky, it's always been faster. :)

a virus through a flash movie was the only one that got through. it wasn't the only issue, I do not get virus alerts when cruising through ie or chrome, I get them all the time through firefox

So, your problem is with Flash (an Adobe plugin) not really with FF though. On Windows Flash has a separate update for each browser, perhaps your FF version was lagging behind. It could have also been that the site you visited gets more FF traffic then IE (who uses IE?) and the bad guys geared the exploit for that particular version of Flash via FF. Anyhoo I would suggest getting something like flashblock so that only legit flash content shows and reduces your chances of flash exploits a tiny bit.

I thought MS was going to stop making IE? Also, I can't see firefox going away. Another note - I like seamonkey, it is a nice unit, I just wish it had more extensions and such for it.

Last note: I haven't used chrome and probably wont till they fix some things, like the open with option instead of downloading everything, I don't want to download everything ..

Something that I wish google would do is make a desktop client that is made specially for gmail, and also have a sync with the google calendar & google reader. That would be something I would use a lot of ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back