choosing harddrive

Taurus

hardware monkey
hey people. i'm currently in the market for a 120gb harddrive for storage. what this means is reliability is top priority. i've narrowed it down to these 2:
- Maxtor D540X
- Samsung SV1204H

both are 5400rpm, have a 2mb buffer, and have <12ms seek times. speed is not an issue. they're both priced about the same at around $130.

i know maxtor is more popular, so this review of the samsung should even the field a bit. they basically say it's a good value drive.

I'll tell you this much Taurus;

I have one Samsung 6GB drive; and been running it almost everyday for about 10 hours; going at 5 years now. It's load times are nothing special; but this drive so far outlived my new WD's, and one Quatnum.

I don't know about the new 120GB drive; but I have no complaints about my old drive; and hopefully; the new drive is improved and better; in terms of speed.

I think you should go with the Samsung drive.

your input is appreciated, nick. i was leaning towards the samsung drive to begin with. anyone out there ever have one die on them?

i know there are lots of pople who have or had d540x's... any of them ever die? or any complaints?

Looks like no one answered :(

So which one did you wind up getting?

the samsung. :D

it's in my sig. so far, it's wonderful. it's silent, of course.. i can't hear it over my other hd or fans or anything. and it's cool to the touch. after hours of running, it barely feels room temperature.

the extraordinary part is sandra 2002 gives it a higher score than my 7200rpm 8.5ms ibm by a good 4400 points somehow! :blink:

my main concern, reliability, can only be tested through years of use. but the fact that it's cool and quiet give me high expectations. my 3000 songs and all my programs and movies are depending on it!

at this point, for $130 shipped, i highly recommend. :happy:

I need a second 120GB HDD...so I might consider getting just that one.

Thanks for the feedback and the answer; tech spec and user opinion need was killing the curious one! :)

lol yes the second.

File storage junkie. ( Back up! ) The good things :)

Snookbooger; that's the drive I have right now IBM 120GXP...and I thought that was fast. Works well too.

I have an IBM Deskstar ata100 udma5 7200rpm 120gig drive.. Fast and reliable. Theres a tiny appz that enables u to "silent" the drive.. it really becomes noise free.. more @ ibm.com

:::laughing:::

with around a total of 12 fans in my case; I don't think I hear it anymore.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back