Choice between video cards

Y

Yngwie_II

Hey guys
Thx for all the previous posts to all my threads, i really
appriciate it. Anyhow, I was thinking a bit about
video cards, since i'm thinking of upgrading. I don't have
my gf4 ti 4600 anymore. I was thinking between
the ATI radeon 9500 Pro, the 9600 pro or the geforce FX 5600 pro. Could you guys tell me your opinion. The 9600 pro is awesome but that fatal "mistake" in taking away 4 pixels per pipeline i find pretty dumb. The rest is pretty much a hard decision. The price should be between the 140 and 200 dollars. I know there will be a 5600 with 256mb of memory but it will be probably more expensive so forget about that for now.
Ok guys please let me know as soon as possible.

Thx

Yngwie II

i would suggest the 9500Pro, and if you can go any higher then that the 9700 or 9700 Pro, they all offer great performance, just what are you willing to pay. wait a month to see what the 9800 does to the 9700 prices. in a little bit i am sure Sazar will be along to tell you all about it.

Originally posted by Yngwie_II
Hey guys
Thx for all the previous posts to all my threads, i really
appriciate it. Anyhow, I was thinking a bit about
video cards, since i'm thinking of upgrading. I don't have
my gf4 ti 4600 anymore. I was thinking between
the ATI radeon 9500 Pro, the 9600 pro or the geforce FX 5600 pro. Could you guys tell me your opinion. The 9600 pro is awesome but that fatal "mistake" in taking away 4 pixels per pipeline i find pretty dumb. The rest is pretty much a hard decision. The price should be between the 140 and 200 dollars. I know there will be a 5600 with 256mb of memory but it will be probably more expensive so forget about that for now.
Ok guys please let me know as soon as possible.

Thx

Yngwie II

the 5800 series from nvidia will have 256mb... not the 5600 part which is likely to be outperformed by the 9500pro series of card ( a number of websites have said this... including toms hardware guide's lars weinhad which is saying something)

the 9600pro has optimizations and has much higher core/memory clocks as compared to the 9500pro... and looking @ ati;s history with nomenculture... I highly expect the part to compete with the 9500pro in most benches if not beat it...

if you have to buy right now... buy a 9500pro in that price range...

if you can wait a couple of weeks... wait for the [p]reviews of the 9600 series of cards from ati... and then make up your mind...

hey Jz1397-4
funniest as hell that you knew that sazar was gonna reply.
Anyhow thx for the replies guys. By the way sazar, check
this out, cuz i knew the 5800 was gonna have an ultra version
with 256mb and didn't think the 5600 was gonna have it, but
i saw it today on the nvidia uk website thats why i posted this.
Here you go:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/view.asp?PAGE=geforcefx

scroll down and get amazingly suprised.

no doubt... but it says maximum SUPPORTED memory...

heck most of today's cards support 256mb of memory... :)

my old 8500 supported 256mb ddr...

but again I can't see nvidia putting forth a video card with those clocks and that core and selling it @ a good price with 256mb of memory... it is not a feasible solution IMO when you look @ it from a business standpoint...

:)

concerning why I was expected to comment... I usually do when it comes to graphics technology... thats my hobby area... also I moderate this section of the forums :)

Sazar = Graphics God lol

nuff said. Need help with graphics go ask Sazar. He'll have all your questions answered in 10 minutes flat lol.

Originally posted by mbunny
Sazar = Graphics God lol

nuff said. Need help with graphics go ask Sazar. He'll have all your questions answered in 10 minutes flat lol.

you guys think I know more than I do :)

if you go to an actual enthusiast website for gfx technology you will see the real gods in action

/me points to beyond3d forums :)

I just look over the tech in cpu's and video cards more than most other things... :)

I am going for something top of the range that will run Doom III - nuff said.

Originally posted by Electronic Punk
I am going for something top of the range that will run Doom III - nuff said.

your card should run it just fine... just not @ max LOD and res... :)

Wouldn't any GF FX be way more than the 9500Pro or 9600? I'd recommend either of them and advise you to wait a few months aswell for price drops.

Sazar you say i can't play doom 3 fully with
the 9500 pro??

I thought it would be good enough because of the
extra 4 pixels per pipline.

Go for the 9500 or 9700 depending on how much speed you feel you need. The new releases (9600, 9800) have no significant advantage this year or next and will just cost more.

Pro versions just jack the price and push performance that could lead to premature failure for almost no performance gain.

Forget the FX it is a stinking power pig and noise maker. If your an Nvidia fan, like I am, wait for the summer when nvidia will announce the "fixed" fx or that they are going out of the high performance video card business...

See the AMD T'bred fiasco of 2002 for a relevant example. AMD lost 2 billion last year because it wasn't really ready for release. There may not ne an AMD next year they are almost out of cash reserves and still loosing money.

the 9500 standard has only 4 pixels per pipeline though,
in tests the 9500 pro kicks it's ass, wouldn't the pro be
better for doom 3? i can remember carmack saying something
about those pixels a while ago, but it was the case of the
9700 then.

Sazar you say i can't play doom 3 fully with
the 9500 pro??

I thought it would be good enough because of the
extra 4 pixels per pipline.

yah but when you say FULLY... you are likely to play it @ less than 'FULLY"

more like in the 1024x768 res range... perhaps with LOD turned down some... :)

What about different 9500 Pro`s? Is Hercules the way to go or is Sapphire or any other manufacturer just as good?

Originally posted by jdb264c
What about different 9500 Pro`s? Is Hercules the way to go or is Sapphire or any other manufacturer just as good?

most of the 9500pro's are similar in raw performance... certain manufacturers pcb's are better for overclocking due to layout or memory used or other features...

I recommend hercules or tyan if you want to overclock...

the 9500 standard has only 4 pixels per pipeline though,
in tests the 9500 pro kicks it's ass, wouldn't the pro be
better for doom 3? i can remember carmack saying something
about those pixels a while ago, but it was the case of the
9700 then.

decided I should point out something here...

technically the gf FX 5800/5900... and probably the 5600 too are all 4 pipelien setups :)

its not so much the number of pipelines as how the work is done :)

yes... your card is faster and more efficient than the non-pro version of the 9500 series... and yes.. doom 3 will play better..

but... it is unlikely to have enough juice to play games with maximum everything purely because Carmack likes to push the limits and it is highly unlikely he will design something we can all play @ max everything NOW... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back