chkdsk

bluzeboy

Bluzeboy
When I enter the command chkdsk /f it at first it tells me it needs exclusive access to the drive and must restart upon restart it says it still doesn’t have exclusive to access to the drive and can’t perform the task.
What can I do to perform this ? ive taken Norton systemworks-I thought that was the problem.but it wasn’t

Boot to the recovery console (I know you know how to do that now;) ) and try to run chkdsk /r from the RC.

Hey bluzeboy,

That is normal, it is a "feature" in XP. Just check it off and then restart.

Originally posted by mudpuppy
Hey bluzeboy,

That is normal, it is a "feature" in XP. Just check it off and then restart.
Not being able to run chkdsk on the restart is not a feature, it's an anomaly. When you try to run chkdsk with a repair switch from within the gui you will either be asked if you want to dismount the volume or, if it's the boot drive or another partition that cannot be dismounted, if you want to run on the next boot. It should then run on that next boot. If it doesn't, that's a failure not a feature.

But again, let's see what happens when you try to run it from the RC - but run with the /r switch not the /f switch (which the RC probably won't recognize).

mudpuppy- uncheck where"?\
allen -when i try to install i get this message\
It is possible that windows xp start up files in root directory were missing or in use during the installation.please close any application that might be using these files.
I have closed all applications,unless I need to do something else.

bluzeboy - this thread has spanned two web sites so I'm not quite sure where we are. But just boot to the XP CD and select the first restore option, go to the RC and type: chkdsk /r

Let me know what happens

Originally posted by allan
Not being able to run chkdsk on the restart is not a feature, it's an anomaly.

DOH.....I am tired and did not read what bluzeboy said correctly. Sorry mate! :huh: I did not see that he got that message upon startup. Good luck with that bluzeboy, I have never seen that problem. Please post here when you find the answer.

Allen –I ran chkdsk /r then chkdsk /f it runs one time & then not the next it makes no rym or reason
It is like it takes one time & not the other,I’m lost
But thanks for your efforts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back