CHKDSK help

one.123

-0-;;
so im guessing somehow my harddrive got corrupted and windows wanted to run chkdsk. it got all the way to the recovering lost files, then it gets to "inserting index entry of index $0 to file 50" got stuck here, ran forever, now windows will not make it to the windows loading screen. i've looked online and can only find people having problems with "$0 of file 25". ive tried to repair windows using the disk and now it will not find vista. saving files on the harddrive is kind of important in this situation, thanks for any help.

*quick update, im attempting to fix startup problems on "unknown operating system (unknown drive)" using the repair disk.

Not sure what OS it is, but you could try booting to some type of Recovery Disc or WinPE to run CHKDSK from a command line. Could also use either with network support if necessary to retrieve your files.

-edit-

Sorry, just read that more carefully and saw you have Vista. Try using a recovery disk and see what you can do -

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=93187

your drive is about to die, get everything off you can

carpo are you serious? how do i get stuff off without being able to get into the os, and this computer is pretty new, so i don't understand how it can be dying.

* oh and no luck with that repair disk.
i was using the repair disk that came with the computer, im downloading the one you provided now kcnychief

got to the drive manufacturers site and get their own diagnostic tools for the drive and check the drive.

I have seen this before and the drive is dying, use the vista disc to get you to a command prompt and type chkdsk x: /r /p (changing x: to the drive in question) this should temporarily fix any issues with the drive, be aware this may take a while to complete.

It should then boot into windows, then i would suggest getting everything off the drive you can, you could also see if you can rma the drive to the manufacture and see if you can get a replacement drive if its not that old and indeed is failing

You can try booting off a linux based HD data recovery CD or thumb drive. Of course you need a working PC to make the CD or Thumb drive.

Plan B is stick the HD in an external enclosure on another PC and see what you can recover. I prefer external becasue ti poses less risk to the good PC you are using. You can install the HD internal if you must.

There are multiple threads on the various tools available to recover data from a dying HD. Once the HD goes completely you are looking at hundreds of dollars for the manufacturer to recover the data. So get the data recovered ASAP before the drive gives up completely.

alright that linux thing was a good idea, got the files that needed to be saved and im trying to run "chkdsk c: /r /p" but it says that /p is an invalid paramater, if i run with just the /r parameter it says that it needs to be dismounted first because its in use and all opened handles would be invalid...im not sure what this means so could someone explain this?

you have to do the check disk thing from recovery console using vista disk

alright that linux thing was a good idea, got the files that needed to be saved and im trying to run "chkdsk c: /r /p" but it says that /p is an invalid paramater, if i run with just the /r parameter it says that it needs to be dismounted first because its in use and all opened handles would be invalid...im not sure what this means so could someone explain this?
If you can now boot to your OS, which is what I'm assuming based on that - you normally get a prompt asking if you want to run CHKDSK at next restart since you can't dismount the volume while in use. Or, alternatively, you can run from a recovery disk

oh i still can't get into windows, it still stuck on the blinking cursor screen before the loading bar comes up. im using the vista recovery disc and going into the command prompt and its telling me that the c: is in use.

edit: im a retard...i was trying to do it while i was in the c:, got it working. will be back after its done.

Ah, that works too :) Good luck and hope it works out. Pay attention to the output - there should be a mini-report at the end and one of the line items is "bad sectors". Not sure if there is an acceptable amount, but it could strictly be software problems with the drive as well.

ran chkdsk and it ended up saying only 4kb for bad sectors, but it still won't load windows.

all i get is the blinking cursor at the top left

Last edited:
If the bad sectors have critical windows files that will stop the load.

Now that you have saved your critical files you can try doing a repair install using the windows CD. Before doing that run the maunfacturers diagnostics on the HD and a burn in program like sandra to stress test the drive.

You may need to reformat to get the bad sectors registered in the FAT as bad. It hsould already know that though.

i ran the diagnostics tool, its a western digital, program can't find the drive. im guessing thats bad, should i try to install vista again anyways or look for another drive.

also..im trying to reinstall vista...but then i would need a full vista cd right? this is a gateway computer, so i believe it only comes with the upgrade cd.

Last edited:
once you start getting bad sectors the the beginning of the end or the drive, how old is the pc/drive ?

its gotta be at most...a year maybe. anyways got a new drive, and i only have a xp full install cd. so im running that but im getting this 0x000007b stop error on the setup. i google'd it and it seems thats its either a bios option i need to change or i need to slipstream the sata drivers into the winxp cd. i tried messing with the bios options, but xp still stops at the loading of the setup. i switched from ide/ahci/raid, and tried setting the ata mode to both legacy and native, wouldn't accept any, so im gonna try the slip stream thing to see if that works.

update: slipstream worked, thanks for the help everyone, case closed.

I could be wrong but I believe if you change your BIOS settings between IDE/AHCI/RAID and/or the ATA mode in the BIOS while a load is on the machine, it could require a rebuild for your machine to boot properly.

Either way, glad you got it sorted :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back