CHKDSK at Startup?

H

Hoyd

Hi,

For some reason, whenever I need to restart my computer, it says that CHKDSK has been scheduled. This is fine, except after it finished the check, the computer reboots as it should, but then freezes right after the Windows logo screen.

So, then I need to hit the restart button and I get the message about Windows being improperly shut down and I choose Start Windows Normally and it works. But, then next time I restart, I have to do this same cycle all over again. Is there any way that I can check to see whey CHKDSK is scheduled at next startup and tell it not to do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hoyd

CHKNTFS

Start>Run>cmd
Type chkntfs /?

See what you can do from there ...
Good luck! :)

OK,

I've done both of those things.

When I type chkntfs c:
It says that chkdsk has been scheduled to run manually on next reboot on volume c:.

When I type chkdsk /f
It says chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system starts (y/n) - I choose N since it's been checking everytime my system starts and that's the problem.

Any other advice... what does it mean when it says : chkdsk will run if the drive is dirty - what does it mean by dirty exactly?

Thanks again.

You have to answer YES. Chkdsk /f will not only run check disk, but will repair errors.

Right... I understand that... but from my original post, it is running at startup already, not finding any errors, rebooting, freezing, and then making me reboot again... I'm trying to stop that cycle...

updates

Got all your windows updates think I saw one related to that a way's back

or this

You might find an 'autocheck' entry (value) that can be deleted at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

1. Delete the key: "BootExecute", which is located in: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" (Just as Kermit said) :)

2. Reboot

3. run "chkdsk /f" in cmd

4. Reboot

Okay, let's disable auto-scan:

Start - Run - Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ControlSession Manager

Then look for or create the Value: AutoChkTimeOut
Data Type: DWORD Value
Set the value data as follows: Time in Seconds or 0 to disable

Thanks everyone for all your help.

In the end, I think it might have been that my harddrive was too full... don't really know why, but I was down to only about 300MB free so I burnt off some data and I'm up to over a gig free now and it doesn't do it anymore.

Does this make sense? Or is it just a conicidence that it's suddenly fixed?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back