Chipset Heatsink

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
how do i remove the chipset heatsink?????, there are the 2 plastic clips but it is still on there pretty good. i dont want to break it or pull the chip out? are there any tricks
any liquids or anything???

i am removing it because i got a new chip set HSF for it, mine was just a large ass heatsink.

it just takes a little prying. it will pop off as long as you have the clips off.

Originally posted by taurus
it just takes a little prying. it will pop off as long as you have the clips off.

ahhh.... damn it!! last week i take out my stupid old globaLWIN and replace with thermaltake 11 with ducting mod! it took a hell power out of me to take that globalwin out! :D

Originally posted by Bretenn
ahhh.... damn it!! last week i take out my stupid old globaLWIN and replace with thermaltake 11 with ducting mod! it took a hell power out of me to take that globalwin out! :D
? :confused:
i don't follow. we're referring to the chipset northbridge heatsink.

Just be careful, you don't want to break the chip. I've heard some about cooling the chip down (cooling spray) or heating it up to soften the adhesive but I'm not sure which should be used here. So don't take my word for it!

twist the heatsink, it breaks the seal. this is from epox support after my out of warranty mobo northbridge fan packed up and i had a passive replacement.

Originally posted by taurus
? :confused:
i don't follow. we're referring to the chipset northbridge heatsink.

oh shxt :( "northbridge heatsink"!!!
arggghhh.... sory for wrong posting i din really look at the question :D

:mad: i will not repeating same error k :D
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

ok thanks, now that the fan is here i will try to get it off, i just dont want to break it LOL

s'all good, bretenn. :cool:

Originally posted by Zedric
Just be careful, you don't want to break the chip. I've heard some about cooling the chip down (cooling spray) or heating it up to soften the adhesive but I'm not sure which should be used here. So don't take my word for it!
i wouldn't worry about the heatsink being stuck to the chip that much... after all, it had clips holding it on. the compound in between should be little more than a tacky goo or pad. not an adhesive. :)

ok i now ahve the free time to try this and i tryed pulling it off after removing the cips and it is on there pretty good. i called my friend and he tole me to get some of the compressed air and turn it upside down soa liqued comes out and when the heat sink is frozen then to twist it, so i am gonna try it because i tryed all my best to remove it and no go, so i must put it off till tomorow

well, i guess it is adhesive holding it on there. :huh:

that upside-down can trick is a good idea. zedric's suggestion to chill it seemed like a good one but i couldn't think of how that would be done, short of leaving your mobo in the freezer for an hour. :D

can trick should work. be sure to get all sides of it. and twisting is a good idea, as opposed to pulling/prying.

It's held on with thermal tape. Knife blade (CAREFULLY) inserted between the sink and chip will break the cohesion and take it off.

Glue is good in tension but wimpy in shear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back