chipped core?

Krux

Nissan Powered
running a 2400+ HSF (SLK 8) was extremely hard to get on running now at 140 to 150 (high 50's low 60's cel) idle possible chipped core?

I would think a chipped core would make it work not at all.

Sounds more like either the HSF is not mounted correctly or there is no (or too much) thermal interface material.

By "SLK8", you mean SLK800, right? If so, that should be more than adequate I would think.

yeah, i'd take it back off and check everthing.

is the bottom of the skl800 polished smooth? if not, before you put it on the cpu, get a tiny dab of thermal compound and rub it around on the small area the core will touch. use a clean plastic bag to smear it around. this will make sure that the compound gets in any tiny grooves and imperfections that exist in the heatsink.

well I have a duron 600 and I chipped the corner on it and it used to run at 90 and now runs at 130 I figured it was prlly the same deal. So you guys think I should have the guy take off his HSF and check his core? maybe I should tell him to get a shim to just incase it isn't chipped.

Originally posted by Krux
well I have a duron 600 and I chipped the corner on it and it used to run at 90 and now runs at 130 I figured it was prlly the same deal. So you guys think I should have the guy take off his HSF and check his core? maybe I should tell him to get a shim to just incase it isn't chipped.

dunno if amd recommends spacers when it comes to their upper end models ie 2400+ and above...

easiest thing to do is pop off the hsf and look @ the TIM's footprint on the bottom... if there is good coverage than your contact is solid... perhaps too much paste... if there are areas where there is bare surface area... that means perhaps the paste was not spread evenly/too little..

as for lapping the bottom... the slk series are generally very very good when it comes to the finishing on the bottom of their coolers..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back