Chilly chip shatters speed record

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5099584.stm

o.gif

inline_dashed_line.gif

Enlarge Image

The world's fastest silicon-based microchip has been demonstrated by scientists in the US.
The prototype operates at speeds up to 500 gigahertz (GHz), more than 100 times faster than desktop PC chips.
To break the world record, the researchers from IBM and the Georgia Institute of Technology had to super-cool the chip with liquid helium.
The team believes the device could eventually speed up wireless networks and develop cheaper mobile phones.
"Faster and faster chips open up new applications and reduce costs for existing products," said Professor David Ahlgren of IBM.
Exotic chips
At the moment, most microchips are made from silicon.
But in recent years, there has been a realisation that silicon cannot match other materials in terms of processing speed.
_41791134_002688790_mobiles_afp203.jpg
The record breaking chips could be used in mobile phones

For applications that require huge amounts of calculations every second, like collision-warning systems in cars and trucks, companies use exotic materials to produce the necessary power.
Materials like gallium arsenide are commonly used, but are expensive and difficult to fabricate.
However, the chip industry would like to continue to use proven silicon manufacturing technology because it is reliable and cheap.
The new experiments were part of a project to explore the speed limits of devices made of silicon and germanium.
Super cooled
Germanium is already added to the silicon chips used in mobile phones to make them operate more efficiently.
o.gif
_41791098_cell_processor_ap203.jpg

start_quote_rb.gif
A decade ago we couldn't even envisage being able to run at these speeds
end_quote_rb.gif

Professor David Ahlgren, IBM

Adding the element allows chips to run faster and use less power. Importantly, they can also be fabricated using existing silicon techniques.
These chips are already known to operate at faster and faster speeds as they are cooled.
To break the speed record, the researchers super-cooled an IBM prototype of a new "high frequency" device to -268.5C, using liquid helium.
This temperature is just above absolute zero, the theoretical minimum temperature possible. When cooled, the chips were able to perform half a trillion calculations every second, a speed of 500 GHz.
By comparison, a powerful desktop PC is capable of about five billion calculations per second.
"A decade ago we couldn't even envisage being able to run at these speeds," said Professor Ahlgren.
Next generation
At room temperature the experimental chips still managed to outperform standard silicon chips, running at about 350 billion calculations per second.
However, the researchers say they can push them even further.
"We observe effects in these devices at cryogenic temperatures which potentially make them faster than simple theory would suggest," said Professor John Cressler of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
The team believes it is possible to make chips run at 1,000 Ghz, or one Terahertz, at room temperature.
"Understanding the basic physics of these advanced transistors arms us with knowledge that could make the next generation of silicon-based integrated circuits even better," said Professor Cressler.

read this this morning, is pretty cool but no doubt a loooong way off making it into pcs anytime soon. let alone the cost of the chip/cooling it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back