Chief Privacy Officer from Gator appointed to "Data Privacy and Integrity" Committee

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political Access
The Department of Homeland Security has named Claria, an adware maker that online publishers once dubbed a "parasite," to a federal privacy advisory board.

An executive from Claria, formerly called Gator, will be one of 20 members of the committee, the department said Wednesday.

"This committee will provide the department with important recommendations on how to further the department's mission while protecting the privacy of personally identifiable information of citizens and visitors of the United States," Nuala O'Connor Kelly, the department's chief privacy officer, said in a statement.

Claria bundles its pop-up advertising software with ad-supported networks such as Kazaa. Recently, the privately held company has been trying to seek credibility by following stricter privacy guidelines and offering behavioral profiling services to its partners.
In an e-mail message to CNET News.com, Kelly defended the inclusion of a Claria representative on the committee. "I am proud of, supportive of and grateful for those individuals in the public and private sector who are willing to take on the hard tasks, fight the good fight, and who surprise us with creative, fresh and unconventional thinking, and who make change where change is needed through their hard work and personal dedication," Kelly said.

In the past, Claria's pop-up ad software has riled some users who claimed it was annoying, installed without permission, and not easy to delete. Publishers also were irked about pop-up ads for a rival's product appearing next to their own Web sites. Catalog retailer L.L. Bean sued Gator for alleged trademark infringement.

Claria's representative on the Homeland Security privacy board is company Vice President D. Reed Freeman, a former Federal Trade Commission staff attorney. Other members include executives from Intel, Computer Associates International, IBM, Oracle and the Cato Institute.
Kelly said Freeman will "bring his courage and conviction to the board, and will contribute productively--and constructively--to the board's and the public's dialogue on privacy and homeland security."

The committee is tasked with providing "external expert advice to the secretary and the chief privacy officer on programmatic, policy, operational and technological issues that affect privacy, data integrity and data interoperability."

In February 2003, Gator settled a high-profile case brought by The Washington Post, The New York Times, Dow Jones and other media companies. Terms of that deal were quiet, but Claria appears to have stopped delivering pop-ups to those publishers' sites.
Claria did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

CNET News

You have got be be ****ing kidding me? That's just scary.

Hmm. In a sense, it's kind of like hiring a convicted hacker to work for the CIA.

How much did they contribute to GWB re-election campiagn?

hmmm... follow the money, corprate proxy again

Re: Chief Privacy Officer from Gator appointed to "Data Privacy and Integrity" Commit

falconguard said:
How much did they contribute to GWB re-election campiagn?

hmmm... follow the money, corprate proxy again

Probably not as much as the Keebler Elves did. :rolleyes:

Isn't that an RJR ERynolds Company, yup those bastards contributed alot too, watch the next surgeon generla will have a former tobacco executive in the post. Gotta love that good ol' boy network

That is the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard. I can't believe they would do something like that ..

I think it's a very smart move personally like the post said the company is "trying to seek credibility by following stricter privacy guidelines and offering behavioral profiling services to its partners." and like muzikool said it's like hiring a hacker into the cia...

this person may be just trying to get his agenda through but I doubt it. the other companies involved don't want garbage ruining their investments and will make sure Claria wants to keep up the privacy issue

hahaha, yup that is why oil is giving money to open up alaska, for more drilling, or for that matter the energy companies having a large say on the power of FERC.

Believe what you want,
This is a corporate whore for president
Yeah I said that, and I'm a republican

Behavior profiling services to it's customers? there is a fox in the henhouse
a little truth in advertising here

Re: Chief Privacy Officer from Gator appointed to "Data Privacy and Integrity" Commit

falconguard said:
Believe what you want,

He brings out the worst of his father and Reagan all in one.

Melon

falconguard said:
hahaha, yup that is why oil is giving money to open up alaska, for more drilling, or for that matter the energy companies having a large say on the power of FERC.

Believe what you want,

Behavior profiling services to it's customers? there is a fox in the henhouse
a little truth in advertising here
this is what's bothering you about this president?

you mean behavior like this bothers you more then when this guy decided standing down and going on vacation was the best course of action against an attack he was told was sure to come?...even though told where, when, how, who, what method, what target, what weapons...even though he had a clear template which would defend this country (from previous administrations with identical crisis and information) that could have, (should have) prevented the attack on september eleventh?

this development bothers you more then that development?

you mean this development bothers you more then those when his advisor's implored him to take OUT the tali ban and the terrorists IMMEIDATLY after the attack on our shore, and he REFUSED to do it for months...this development bothers you more then that?

or refusing to actually capture bin laden when we had him at the foothills of tora bora...this is more alarming to you than that?

how about when he deliberately circumvented our form of governemt, lied to the other branches that are there for just this purpose, took our forces from the heart of terrorism in Afghanistan so he could make up his little war in Iraq...now,because of this wonderful vision, where there was no terrorism in Iraq, it's currently the hub and terrorism abounds...though every decision he's made has exacerbated the fight and increased terrorism,and though he seems he's on their very team

you mean this appointment is more disturbing then any of that?

allright then domestically, how about taking the hard earned money that you and your parents set aside for your retirement and giving it to rich people...now you'll be retiring at a much later age with far fewer benefits.

this appointment is more alarming then any of his history before this?

and interesting lot the republicans in America are, this is to be sure.

muzikool said:
Probably not as much as the Keebler Elves did. :rolleyes:

Those bastards are mafia too. So be very careful what you say about them.....

Perris, This has bothered me when he first got elected, I did not vote for him then either.

He has always been a corporate whore, I knew this before he got elected, his track record in business proved this.

What bothers me to no end, is that he can take the moral high road to torture, when the very architect of that torture is nominated to the Attorney General post.
To say that he did not tacitly agree to the endorsement of information mining is ludicrous, he and Alberto Gonzalez knew what they were doing.

Trust me I can go and on, about where the Republican party is out of touch with reality, But I think every party suffers it's wings

I joined the Republican party back when I was single, the tax burden on the middle class is excessive, and out of touch with the fact that single income generators are taxed at a higher rate then the rest of the Country. This country is born on the backs of the middle class, they outnumber both the rich and poor, but pay more than their fair share of the tax base. So although I share their view of no new taxes, I dont share their view of Moral high ground.

the real problem falconguard is that the republican constituents turn a blind eye simply because he's their party leader...their party winning is much more important then having a competent man in charge of America...any candidate as long as it's not a democrat..this is the party moto in these times

imagine what the media and the republican party would have done to this man because of this record of achievement if he were a democrat.

this is where we are today

I'm not turning a blind eye, just pointing out hypocrites..for that matter We have another one over here in California, Arnold Schwarzenegger. He campaigned that he did not need political money , he had his own, but yet another corporate whore is raising money far beyond what the governor he replaced has done in 6 years.

I was going to post again in this thread, but seeing that some can't keep politics away, aas well as blame the rain fall in Jordan or snow in Finland on the GOP I will just move on ..

Johnny said:
I was going to post again in this thread,

obviously you are a figment of my imagination :laugh:

but seeing that some can't keep politics away, aas well as blame the rain fall in Jordan or snow in Finland on the GOP I will just move on ..

Don't forget they freed the slaves and have hastened the departure of the U.S.S.R

That is a democratic org. sellout!

Johnny said:
I was going to post again in this thread, but seeing that some can't keep politics away, aas well as blame the rain fall in Jordan or snow in Finland on the GOP I will just move on ..
Looked like a political post from the start. An executive of a company that was known to destroy computers getting a seat on government committee. How is that not politics?

It was somewhat of a political post rom the start xie. It turned into a blame Bush and the US for everything type post again. That is what I was getting at ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back