Chat programs

ejn74

Average Dude!
Political Access
What is a good chat program that does not load junk on your computer. My wife and I are apart for a while do to my job. I do not like Aol, yahoo, or Msn Mess because of the junk in them. Thanks

Windows Messenger 5 (the one that ships with XP, not MSN Messenger) is pretty basic and lightweight too.

MSN Messenger - Good voice quality and video quality. Decent text messaging [for PMs... I never used the MSN rooms]. Downside is that w/o WLM 8 you can't do offline messaging.

Yahoo! - Good voice quality in rooms. With v7 I hate the new PM voicing system. Video quality is so-so. Text chatting in rooms is so-so but in PMs it's junk since I can't seem to receive or send any PMs lately from the people I want. The program as a whole is a pile of dung, IMO. It's one big bug riddled client.

Eyeball Chat - Good voice and video. You can do a lot of tweaking with how it uses bandwidth. Yucky text chatting. Unfortunately this free client hasn't been updated in a long time but it still works and it's great if you have problems with firewalls, etc.

Camfrog - Great video and voice quality. Good text chatting. Nice solid program that is basically Yahoo on steroids and actually works. Downside is... no offline messaging.

ICQ - I haven't used it in a long long time. This had probably the best file transfer of any chat client.

mIRC - The old standby. Text-only but it works and does the job. Of course you need a decent IRC server to join but if you can't find one then you shouldn't be using a computer.

NOTE: My opinions were purely based on person-to-person chats and no using a "room" within the client if the client supported rooms.

rotjong

What about google talk? Has anyone used it?

ejn74 said:
What about google talk? Has anyone used it?
Actually, for your specific purpose, it might be a very good choice.
Clean, spartan UI, and the only things it can do are text-based chat and PC-to-PC voice sessions (which actually work very well).

THanks Netryder It is the one that I already decided to go with.

Thanks for the opinions all.

Trillian and Windows Live Messenger Beta are the only ones I use .. Ohh, I also use neemo.com at school ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back