• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Chat programs

ejn74

Folding Master!
Political User
What is a good chat program that does not load junk on your computer. My wife and I are apart for a while do to my job. I do not like Aol, yahoo, or Msn Mess because of the junk in them. Thanks

MSN Messenger - Good voice quality and video quality. Decent text messaging [for PMs... I never used the MSN rooms]. Downside is that w/o WLM 8 you can't do offline messaging.

Yahoo! - Good voice quality in rooms. With v7 I hate the new PM voicing system. Video quality is so-so. Text chatting in rooms is so-so but in PMs it's junk since I can't seem to receive or send any PMs lately from the people I want. The program as a whole is a pile of dung, IMO. It's one big bug riddled client.

Eyeball Chat - Good voice and video. You can do a lot of tweaking with how it uses bandwidth. Yucky text chatting. Unfortunately this free client hasn't been updated in a long time but it still works and it's great if you have problems with firewalls, etc.

Camfrog - Great video and voice quality. Good text chatting. Nice solid program that is basically Yahoo on steroids and actually works. Downside is... no offline messaging.

ICQ - I haven't used it in a long long time. This had probably the best file transfer of any chat client.

mIRC - The old standby. Text-only but it works and does the job. Of course you need a decent IRC server to join but if you can't find one then you shouldn't be using a computer.

NOTE: My opinions were purely based on person-to-person chats and no using a "room" within the client if the client supported rooms.

rotjong

ejn74 said:
What about google talk? Has anyone used it?
Actually, for your specific purpose, it might be a very good choice.
Clean, spartan UI, and the only things it can do are text-based chat and PC-to-PC voice sessions (which actually work very well).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix