character recognition

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
I have to incorporate character recognition to my scanner.

do I need a new scanner, or is there a program?

Character Recognition is mainly software based though a scanner capable of reasonably high resolutions makes the process better.

Good OCR software is OmniPage, ReadIRIS and other things like that.

thanx geffy

now, is it worth it to get the software, or is the whole hardware package a better idea?

THESE SOFTWARE PACKAGES COST MORE THEN THE WHOLE HARDWARE PACKAGE.

are there any programs with a trial?

I don't even know if these programs are sophisticated enough for what I need...(turning printed and written text to characters)

Originally posted by dealer
thanx geffy

now, is it worth it to get the software, or is the whole hardware package a better idea?

THESE SOFTWARE PACKAGES COST MORE THEN THE WHOLE HARDWARE PACKAGE.

are there any programs with a trial?

I don't even know if these programs are sophisticated enough for what I need...(turning printed and written text to characters)

I know very little about scanners and the like, but I bought a scanner like 3 years ago, an inexpensive HP for about $170 - $200, and it came with an OCR program. I remember using it and being shocked as to how well it worked.

I have since sold my scanner so I have no names to provide, but I am surprised it is as expensive as you mention...

well if the scanner package with OCR software is included is cheaper than getting the OCR software then get the new scanner

i have used OmnipagePro v12 several times and it is great... some of the earlier releases worked well, but were difficult to navigate and configure.

I have only used it for typed text though... not written... but the good part is you can teach it to recognize any shape as a certain character... you could have it interpret a solid square to be a letter x if you want. With that in mind i think it wouldn't be too long before you had it recognizing your own hand writing...

i'm a student so i've always managed to find "lo" cost alternatives to locating expensive software packages... i'm sure you know how to do that aswell...

Go to Scansoft.com and see what they offer. Some of their stuff is bundled into Visioneer scanners that are pretty low cost and I have found to be reliable. I think I have owned about 5 or 6 Visioneer scanners over the last ten years.

I use scanners to keep all of my filed documentation "paperless".

I also use Paperport from Scansoft, it is a scanned document management program. OCR is included, output can be in Words doc file, txt file and even Excel file. It also has form filler feature.
Must have for scanner users.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back