Changing XPHome to XPPro, can it be done?

it's not xp pro, it just gives some pro functionality (not all pro functionality)

it looks to me like it might be a legal hack if it works

C'T writes in its latest print issue (in German only) that you need to copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your harddisk, extract the Bootsector of your WindowsXP CD and change only 2 bytes in i386Setupreg.hiv by using Regedit. In fact all you have to do is edit the binary key "default" and change "01" to "00" and "02" to "00" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEHomekeyControlSet001Servicessetupdd, C'T claims.

There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service Pack 2, unless they integrate SP2 in the installation CD. And that's probably too much trouble for most users, who of course are better off buying a legal version anyway. It is expected that Microsoft will change the setup files soon to prevent this hack.

So, to answer your question, Heeter, YES, it's true!

I tried it. After loading XP the only way I knew it worked was that the system properties said I had XP Professional.

I tried running gpedit.msc but it wasn't there. So what are the advantages of doing it?? I couldn't see any other differences.

Hipster Doofus said:
So what are the advantages of doing it??
telling people u hacked ure windows xp home to pro and then showing them ?:p

Hipster Doofus said:
I tried running gpedit.msc but it wasn't there. So what are the advantages of doing it?? I couldn't see any other differences.

You should have Remote Desktop, User Management, and the extra security options. You can enable GPEdit through a hack, but it writes the keys to the wrong place in the registry, so no real use for it there.

It should install as a full WinXP Pro version with the exception of:

Netware-Client
Webserver IIS
gpedit.msc
Tasklist en Taskkill

Last edited:
Hipster Doofus said:
I tried running gpedit.msc but it wasn't there.

Try this method:

* Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.

* From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll

* regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll Open the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click Add. Select the Group Policy snap-in from the list of installed snap ins.

You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you are looking for might be missing

oww yeah... forgot to mention one big drawback 'bout this... You won't be able to install SP2 unless you integrate in onto your CD.

someone who's done this tell me please if you can log into the administrator without going into safe mode

if that can be done, this will complete my computer days

I don't mean an administrator, I mean THE administrator which is only available in safe mode if you ahve home, but available at log in if you have pro

I'll do it this weekend. Report on Monday.

I'm guessing it would be avail, and that link shows how to enable Windows Logon - at which point you can enter 'Administrator' as the username. However it doesn't mean that it will work. I'll try her out.

with a reg hack I can get the administrator to show up on the log on screen in a home version, but it won't log in anyway

It's not designed for day to day activities in Home. Use another administrator account....

like 4dm1n1strat0r :)

I know this...I don't even think a user should be in ANY administrator account until they need to be

but, I want users to be able to access the account withour going into safe mode

Then you've surpassed Home's abilities - those users should have Pro installed. I have been scraping the internet for a solution to this - I don't think I'll find one. We shall see what happens with the test...

I can tell you this right now - when the switch is made, the OS identifies itself as XP pro - so I would imagine the Administrator account should work in Normal mode.

it's not an identification thing it's a function thing, so I don't think it's gonna work unless the hack gives sucurity authority...we'll see...I hope so

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back