changing the fan on my gf4

Kush

High On Life!
hey guys, recently my fan on my gf4 ti4600 has been dying, so i got today a vantec iceberq4 pro, now im trying to take the old heat sink off, i took out the fan already (3 screws) but i dont know how to take the heat sink off. i tried twisting and pulling, but i dont wanna ruin my card, i have the Visiontek version btw. thanks in advance, btw what do u guys think of the vantec fan that i got, i just wanted anything that will keep it cool.

i read on a forum somewhere while searching google, that i should put it in the fridge?

Heh, I just saw the title for this thread at the top of the page and it read "changing the fan on my gf..."

I was kinda wondering what kind of girlfriend you had.

anyone? i wanna take it off now, im probably ganna fall asleep, its almost 5 and im soo tired, i tried alot and its annoying it wont come off!

uuh... aren't there black clips going right through the edge of the fan and the card? there should be.... unless said card you have is different. by clips, i mean little pins near the edge of the fan that you push down to clip through holes in the video card's board. should be the only somewhat pointed piece of plastic you see sticking out the bottom of the card. here is a pic of what the pins look like when entirely removed from the fan. the way you would remove them is push down on the end on the side where the fan is mounted, which forces the pointy end out farther. then, take a small pair of pliers (needlenose pliers preferably, due to their small size), and CAREFULLY squeeze the two parts of the pin together that are preventing the pointy part of the clip from going through the hole, and push it through.

Edit: the second picture shows the pins i'm talking about (if this is you're exact card that is.

no there isnt any clips, just a metal heatsink, i think its stuck on with the thermal glue, not sure

on your picture where the two clips are, there are only like rounded things sticking out from under the heatsink

Is that a picture of what your card looks like? if so, there has to be some way to get those 2 pins off. press down on the top of the pins to make the rounded things move away from the board. maybe then you'll find a way to remove them. either that, or take a pic of what said rounded things look like after pressing the top of the pin.

If we can't figure out a way to remove them normally, you might even be able to just carefully cut the rounded things off

no i have no clips what so ever, ill take a apic now

here they are

Attachments

• Image(59).jpg
    Image(59).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Image(60).jpg
    Image(60).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 139
  • Image(64).jpg
    Image(64).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 137
what i think happened is the thermal paste dried
i dont know how to liquify it

I had this problem, use rubbing alchol and a q-tip hell douse the area in it, it will sofften it up, just takes a bit of work. I also used a knife to scrape any of the paste that I saw and just kept trying to twist off the heatsink. It was a real pain but it did come off.

its an annoying thing, i took off all the little things with a leatherman and the **** wont come off still, ARGH!

Just soak the **** out of it in rubbing alchol, it will come off, but yea it is a real bitch

hmm... the one on my FX5200 came off super easy.... maybe cause it just used the thermal paste, and not the stuff that hardens. either that.... or cause i took mine off shortly after turning my PC off...

Mine was a real pain the ****, I thought I would rip the PGU right off the board as hard as I was pulling on the damn cooler

mee too, so can just dip the whole thing in alcohol? cuz the rubbing pads arent working its ****ing annoying, i ripped off the gill looking things with a leather man, but i also accedently scratched the board, hopefully nothing happend but this is a pain in the ass i wanna kill visiontek! and the alcohol wont get under the heat sink

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back