changing system name

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
When I was having problems with my system and installed XP Home on a backup harddrive I just named my system quickly planning to change it later if it worked, but now I can't remember how to do it!

C:\Documents and Settings\Willie aka Hop Along\Desktop

How do I change this system wide?

Last edited:
In Control Panel > User Accounts you can change your username. Just click on the username you want to change and in the Edit Account menu there is a Change Name option. This will not change the actual Docs & Settings folder though.

Make a new account and move your favs, docs, and desktop icons , after delete the old one

In Control Panel > User Accounts you can change your username. Just click on the username you want to change and in the Edit Account menu there is a Change Name option. This will not change the actual Docs & Settings folder though.

The logon name is correct, just my name, I just want to change the directory name system wide

You want to keep the username the same but change the directory that your profile looks to for settings and documents?

Or you want to change your fullname? (Start, Run, control userpasswords2, OK)

You want to keep the username the same but change the directory that your profile looks to for settings and documents?

Or you want to change your fullname? (Start, Run, control userpasswords2, OK)

I just want to rename the directory that my profile looks to, change the part in bold in my orginal post, and do that system wide. I am sure there is a way to do it, I thought it was a registry key that would do it but I can't remember what.

What Shamus posted will work, but I have allot I would have to move

Shamus' suggestion would be the best compared to the alternative. It can get messy with registry changes.

You can copy a profile but neither user can be logged on or in memory.

Right click My Computer
Properties
Advanced (tab)
User Profiles: Settings
Highlight Profile Name, Copy To

Anything with your old username in it. I don't recommend it.

There's a whole mess of keys. A very bad idea. Go with Shamus.

I got tired of counting at 100 keys...

Note: You may still run into many applications that stop running if you delete the original user. Many of the applications stash stuff in the users "mydocuments" and those key entries will have to be changed by hand.

You can use the old account as the template
Just copy over the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\XXX account into the new one

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back