Changing ProgramFilesDir Registry Entry

J

jsitke

After installing any Windows version I always change the ProgramFilesDir registry entry (usually to E:\Apps), but I heard you can have quite a few problems in XP. Has anyone else had these problems?? Here's what I found on the subject:

From reader Mike J.:
"I was interested in your tip about changing the registry settings for ProgramFilesDir. I have done this on a number of systems over the years and it always worked fine, but I did come across a problem with Windows XP Pro.

After a clean install of Win XP Pro, I made the registry change as usual and then found that Outlook Express no longer worked. The shortcuts to it had changed to the new (D:\) default Program Files directory. I changed them back, but it still refused to run, coming up with an error message to say MSOE.DLL could not be initialized. This happened even if I ran the Outlook Express Program directly from Explorer.

@see http://www.itworld.com/...

- jsitke

A few of my friends did have various problems that related that when they changed the program files dir =/ best advice would be to try it and if it fails ya can change it back..nothin like good ole trial and error

same here
any prev windoze gave me no probs in changing program files folder location

i went into troubles though on xp

eventually left it where it was originally installed

:mad:

I've changed mine to "E:\Program Files" and have had no problem executing Outlook (even though I hate that program :) ) I've also noticed that quite a few of XPs system files which used to be in C:\Program Files has moved across to the other drive.

Registry Find & Replace?

After re-reading the Mike J.'s quote, I am wondering if he neglected to do a registry find & replace for all the old entries that still contained C:\Program Files and change them to D:\Program Files. Whenever, I have switched over I have had to perform this on the registry for programs that were already installed to C:\Program Files.

- jsitke :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back