Changing oil

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Ok car people, i changed my oil, if you put toooooo much oil in your engine...will your car smoke???

yes it will, and rev very high. done it on my car once :eek:

It can depend on how much extra you put in. half a quart probably woln't be a problem. How much extra did you put in?

Yes it can smoke if more than a quart has been added. Also due to oil pressure inside engine and the extra oil (again, more than a quart, usually around two quarts), you can begin to push oil past seals, such as the rear main seal, front engine seal, cam seal, etc. Your car would smoke because the oil is pushing past the piston rings going into the combustion chamber and burning off through the exhaust. And no, it will not make you car rev any faster. That Henry is some other problem. Best thing is to let the car cool off. Then loosen the oil drain plug and pull it out and let some oil drain out. Put the plug back in quickly so as not to drain too much. Make sure you use a clean container/pan to catch the oil you drain out. This is in case you drain out too much and have to put some back. Then check the dip stick.

Oh, and don't do it again. And don't drive it around for too long with excess oil in the engine. Once seals begin to leak for a period of time they will continue to leak even after the excess oil has been drained.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
gonaads has given great info. I second his thinking.

And now off to bed. Rough day, had a 95 Explorer with bad fuel pump. Pullin fuel tank and it took a nose dive (the tank) and snapped a fuel line (flex/nylon type). Oooh what fun. Ford sells only the complete fuel line from front of truck all the way to the back. Steel and flex. They want a buck sixty for it (translation: 160 dollars) Blaaaah! :s Fixed it my way. Happy joy joy. :D

Nite Nite.

well in the car i changed the oil in is my 03 focus...i put in 5 quarts...and then added two more today.....my volvo only takes 5...so i just wanted to make sure...ill drain some tomorrow....thanks a bunch

You added what!? :eek: *slaps failurbydesign with 2 empty oil bottles* Bad bad bad... Oh, and did I mention, BAD! :p

HOLY SHIOT!@!

Ummm can you say shot seals?

The '03 Focus with 2.0L Ztec-E engine only takes 4.5 quarts with oil filter change.

2.0L Ztec-E SVT is the same.

2.0L SPI is only 4 quarts. (with oil filter change.)

and the 2.3L takes 4.5 quarts. (with oil filter change.)

Soooooo, you have to much anyway with the 5 quarts ya put in.

Arrrrrrrrrg! :eek:

Way to much. What model Volvo fo you have. I have a 88 740 nonturbo and it only takes 4 Quarts.

Heh heh, and idiot lights are for idiots. :p

On that note... A digital dash is for people who never could tell time.... :D They had to see the numbers on a clock.. :D Anyway, back on topic...

Loosen the plug and spill a small cup worth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back