Changing IRQs

N

nels

Hey,
I have a Soyo Drangon + with an AMD 1800. My problem is that my SB LIVE 5.1 keeps sharing IRQs with other thing. At first my gforce 2 SB and USBs all shared the same IRQ. With some rearanging inside the PC and tweaking of the Bios I managed to seperate some stuff, but the SB and USBs still shape the same IRQ. That wouldn't bother me too much if the SPEAKERS didn't CRACK when I moved my usb mouse!!!
I've heard that reinstalling XP pro with ESCD disabled in the BIOS would let me change the IRQ settings in the resourse manager. Anyone know if this is true. I don't want to back up everything and reinstall stuff for no reason.
Thanks
Nels

Go to the AMD site...they explain how to do the IRQ trick.

Gib

*sigh* I really REALLY have to ask this question...

Why do people use USB mice and keyboards? the sole reason most manufactures include PS/2 ports on your computer is for your mouse and keyboard...A usb mouse isn't better then a PS/2 mouse...in fact with a PS/2 mouse you can almost be guaranteed of less problems

My advice...buy a usb/ps2 converter for a few dollars and get away from USB :)

Qumahlin your a Genius!!!

Hey Qumahlin
You know I have to ask these questions...
Why do people have to come on here to answer questions THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!
Why do manufacters put usb port on their MOBOS??? You think maybe to use USB Keyboards, mice, cams, joysticks etc.....
So before you speak.. think.... If I use a ps2 port for the Keyboard and one for the mouse thats two different IRQS, if I use the USB thats ONE IRQ!!! So Qumahlin to solve a problem you don't go around it by lets say, disabling the USBs, you FIX it so that everything works together.
Thanks for opening up with all your wisdom, but it really isn't worth S...........

hmmm...

well for pci cards such as ur sb live if u change to a diff pci slot from wut its in that will change the irq its on.. there for if u change it from pci slot to pci slot till it isnt shared u should be all set. works all the time. (assuming u have open pci slots. =]

-and nel ur right everything should work with everything.
dont ever let anyone tell u that it cant be fix becuase there is
allways a way to fix everything. (that guy is just being ignorant becuase he really doesnt know - apparently he likes to avoid problems -and go striaght for the easy way out.)

I was just wondering, some people think there is an advantage with it. I didn't say to Disable USB either, I just said it's pointless to be used for mice and keyboards USB was a spec designed so you can hotswap multiple devices, and I sure don't remember the last time I needed to hotswap my keyboard and mouse

and yes if you use USB thats one irq...but thats alo a problematic IRQ, there are inherent problems with USB that cannot be fixed, it comes with the way the USB spec works. which is why even though you should be able to chain 255 USB devices together the chances of it working are slim to none

As for the heart of your problem. Try moving the port the SB live is in. if that does not work what you can do is stop windows from using IRQ steering so that you can either use resource manager or the bios to assign the IRQ's instead of letting steering do it

But that is not recommended as it causes a host of other problems with IRQ's

Originally posted by nels
Hey,
I have a Soyo Drangon + with an AMD 1800. My problem is that my SB LIVE 5.1 keeps sharing IRQs with other thing. At first my gforce 2 SB and USBs all shared the same IRQ. With some rearanging inside the PC and tweaking of the Bios I managed to seperate some stuff, but the SB and USBs still shape the same IRQ. That wouldn't bother me too much if the SPEAKERS didn't CRACK when I moved my usb mouse!!!
I've heard that reinstalling XP pro with ESCD disabled in the BIOS would let me change the IRQ settings in the resourse manager. Anyone know if this is true. I don't want to back up everything and reinstall stuff for no reason.
Thanks
Nels

Why can't you just set everything to APIC and let BIOS, chipSet, and XP handle it for you? Am I missing something here?

Just a note of interest.

Went to a training seminar late last year and the "Official" word from the man at Intel is that ps2 is being dropped very shortly in favour of USB for keyboards and mice! :rolleyes:

As this started out....is there a way to change IRQs manually in XP? I have not been able to find out how to do this in XP yet.
Anyone?

Originally posted by = Indy =
Just a note of interest.

Went to a training seminar late last year and the "Official" word from the man at Intel is that ps2 is being dropped very shortly in favour of USB for keyboards and mice! :rolleyes:

Can't see why they'd do that -- IRQ1 is reserved for keyboard/mouse -- unless they have plans for IRQ1. It also seems a moot point in that APIC solves most problems with multiple devices on a IRQ. Maybe someone has more info on this? I can see, with the proliferation of more and more devices, where they may need to expand IRQs and I/O addresses once again.

Hi, I haven't seen a way within XP to change interupts. But you can certainly force an interupt to a particular PCI slot within the BIOS. Under PCI configuration. I did this for my SB Audigy. I used the PS/2 interupt 12 as I do not use a PS/2 mouse. Set your PS/2 BIOS option from AUTO to ENABLE this will allow interupt 12 to used for other purposes. Also changing the plug in play option in BIOS will change the interupt assignments. You can check that out using "system information" under IRQs.

I was just wondering, some people think there is an advantage with it. I didn't say to Disable USB either, I just said it's pointless to be used for mice and keyboards USB was a spec designed so you can hotswap multiple devices, and I sure don't remember the last time I needed to hotswap my keyboard and mouse

i have to agree with Qumahlin, on this one , save those usb for somthing that can actually utilize it....like a much better runnin gravis game pad usb.....printer , scanner, ect...

:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back