Changing Icons on XP

MC82

Procrastinator
Im curious as to how people are changing their icons on windows xp. I know you can change each folder individually, how would I go about changing the whole theme of icons?

I tried searching the forum and the web and i seem to get a lot of programs i would have to purchase to do such a thing. is this so?

How I change icons I will tell you. Right click on the icon you have already, click change ico, if the ones this icon gives you are ok and you want to chang eit to one of them then do so, myself if it's not what i want I click browse, at the end of the link in the browse, put in a number or a letter an click for my example it says C:\Program Files\Meazure\Meazure.exe I add 1 so we got C:\Program Files\Meazure\Meazure.exe1 I click o.k and it says windows cannot fined the file C:\Program Files\Meazure\Meazure.exe1. Click ok and then you get displayed all icons in the folder
%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll and you can select 1 of them or just search www.downloads.com and selct a program that will replace/give you more icons.

Free apps for icons--->>> http://download.com.com/3120-2001-0...t=&daysback=&swlink=&os=128&li=49&dlsize=&ca=

All licences--->>> http://download.com.com/3120-2001-0...unt=&daysback=&swlink=&os=128&li=&dlsize=&ca=

Good Luck

While we are talking about icons. I was reading about the GUI Olympics over at Neowin and read this ...

2) Icon packages (using IconPackager)

Are icon packages ... icons to totally replace your existing icons? And if so ... where do I find them? I found some sites using google ... anyone have any favorite sites that might not be as popular? Thanks.

IconPackager is a great program and probably worth paying for if you want a very simple solution. Icon packages are made for IconPackager and are an entire set of icons that replace pretty much all of Windows' default icons. If you want the same theme of icons, then icon packages are the way to go so that you don't have to change every icon individually.

Resource Hacker is another solution that is a bit more advanced, but free. You can change many icons with it that you wouldn't be able to change normally. For instance, I used ResHacker to change my network and volume icons in the system tray.

One other option is a bit more tricky, but it works. You can search online and find people who have made a shell32.dll with their own icons. You download the DLL and then use a program called Replacer to replace your shell32.dll with the customized one. Windows will then use the new DLL as if it is the collection of default icons, but instead you will see your new ones.

i was using iconpackager to change my icons the other day, and after i had changed it, i realized that a few icons were erases (ie. quicktime icon) how can i get it back?

I've found and downloaded some packages for IconPackager ... but is there a way to set icons without having to do it one by one? I have the icon library, but going through each icon is time consuming. I was under the impression that there are themes for the whole library. BTW, I'm using the shareware version right now.

I use Icon Packager. I ended up buying it, haven't regretted it. I create my own packages, mix and match icons sets. Deviantart has a good collection of .ip themes.
Another good one is gui replacer. I used it briefly but decided to go back to Icon Packager as I felt that I had beter control of the whole look and feel.

Style XP now supports using different icons, but I must agree with most of the others. Iconpackager is a great app, easy to use and lots of icons for it.

Hi Guys,
I use a Prog called "TuneUp Utilities 2004" with downloadable icon theme packages.
It works well for me plus it is a full XP tweaking prog and very functional.

walkabout said:
Hi Guys,
I use a Prog called "TuneUp Utilities 2004" with downloadable icon theme packages.

I use the same program, c'ept its 2003. Its great tho, although I noticed when I get certain save as or open boxes they don't show as the icon I selected. Aw well...

walkabout said:
Hi Guys,
I've got that and I never even noticed the icons feature before :rolleyes: :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back