Changing CPU with XP and a big problem!

J

joshuajme

After a heatsink and fan upgrade my cpu (athlon xp 1800) has gone a bit dead, the lights are on, 2 diff graphic cards dont work, the memory is sat perfectly and the hdd's aint showing any form of activity.

It's strange because I put the fan and heatsink on perfectly, its the 5th time ive done this amoungst different computers and I have to say this time was the most perfect.

The fan (volcano 9) is spinning, i did put a sufficient amount of compound on the die (artic silver 3) and i only put enough pressure on the clip to get it on the hooks (which went on first go without any struggling).

If I buy a better cpu and put it in (like a xp 2200) will xp still boot? Or will it refuse to because to many hardware changes have taken place since activation? Or will it just need re activating?

If it just boots perfect or needs re-activating I will buy a better cpu and a frickin copper shim, if it aint gona boot i will just buy the same cpu. any1 know? also, check that my guess that the cpu is the problem is right. thanks.

why would clearing cmos work? and i don't have the replacement cpu yet, i want to know what would happen.

clearing the cmos might work because it will reset it to factory settings, which are pretty loose as far as getting things going.

clearing cmos hasnt worked:(

also, how can i tell whether its the mobo or the cpu? when i first turned it on i didnt hear any sparks as such which u generally hear when a mobo turns on after going bad.

I hate to say this, But I think you've cooked your chip. For some reason the fan wasn't on properly and zap. Alternatively, Have you connected the cpu fan to a different power connector, some boards wont boot if it isn't on the right one.

If you have cooked the chip then you will have to buy another MB as well. For the reasons why look at this epic thread.

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5605

the fan is spinning, its on perfectly I swear, the connector is on the cpu power thing. I'm sorry to be a pain its just im upset that my best pc is dead, and I can't suss out what I did wrong.

if the cpu was fried, then is there any way of telling by looking at it?

ah crap, i have to fork out for a new mobo and cpu and I don't even know what went wrong, fantastic!

I will buy the same mobo, but any1 know whether xp will boot with a different cpu to that on which it was installed and activated on?

ah np, found it, just re activate. any idea's as to where i went wrong so I don't do it again?

do you have the CPU connected directly to the PSU or the mobo. There has to be some connection from the Fan to the mobo or sometimes they dont boot.

Also regarding activation you are allowed 6 hardware changes before reactivation is needed so if you change the mobo as all of the bits should be the same no re activation should be neccessary.

it's directly connected to the mobo on the pins marked CPU fan

it isnt spitting out any water, just tried it on 2 diff surfaces and my face. blown 2 cpu's? i don't feel as bad now (sorry to hear) but still, any other idea''s?

o and btw, bytes back; do you sell components? cos i'd rather buy off some1 who is willing to give advice for free than give my money to some big faceless company. Im looking for a xp2200 and a gigabyte 7DXRP+, any prices?

i've just looked at the cpu and I can't smell anything or see anything wrong with it. i re aplied the compound and put the heatsink +fan back on, still aint working :( what a way to spend a friday night eh? was planing to go out until this happend.

bit late now, nothing worse than being in middle of a club sober. im gona buy new stuff it's just I don't wanna do the same thing, as in, break em

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back