Changing CPU with XP and a big problem!

Sussed it!! No it aint fixed but I have found out what I did wrong. In the midst of painting the grill and fan on top of the heatsink, the clip with hooks either side has ended up the wrong way around.

So even though the contours of the underside matched the cpu perfectly, over the ledge etc, the clip did not. The side with the bit for pushing it down with a screwdriver was not on the ledge section of the socket, it was on the bottom of the cpu facing down the mobo.

Even though it went on perfectly, the pressure from pushing down on the cpu and not the ledge crushed the core. I never understood why that ledge was there, until no, dohhhh.

Any1 agree with this anaylsis? Also, this being correct, does it mean I need a new mobo?

Hopefully you don't need a new MB. But you won't know til you tried. With no sparks or funny smells, the MB is hopefully OK.

Too bad about the CPU. Could be hard to get covered by the warranty, right?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back