changeing shells

scsa20

Simonsoft Network
j0 all...I'ved installed another shell on my system along with a program that well act like a shell tell you choose which shell you want to use (ShellOn) but when I choose it to be the default shell, nothing happens after reboots, just boots back up under windows explorer.exe....how can I make shellon.exe (with the path C:\shellon\shellon.exe) my default shell?? is there a place in the gpedit.msc to do this??

*bump*

i can't help u except push ur thread up. if the shel ur talkin about is 4 icon's then 0_87 is the expert

According to what I read about ShellON, is that it can not be a shell, since it is not a shell. It is merely a boot manager. It simply allows the user to select which shell, ie litestep, explorer, geoshell etc, wants to use.

Originally posted by ZipTriX
According to what I read about ShellON, is that it can not be a shell, since it is not a shell. It is merely a boot manager. It simply allows the user to select which shell, ie litestep, explorer, geoshell etc, wants to use.

I know that, but you can set it as a default shell to choose a shell on start up (that's what I'm saying).

Post the home address for ShellON and I'll see if I can't help you after looking at. You might also want to check out Shell Enabler
Here is what I found on ShellON. These steps are for uninstalling but common sense would say, reverse the steps and it should work.

Uninstalling

Here's how to uninstall ShellON should you need to, just to assue you its a painless process!

For 9x:

Go to Start - Run and enter system.ini
Find the line that says shell=C:\shellonv2\shellon.exe
Change it to boot=explorer.exe
Reboot and you are done.
For 2k/XP it's abit more complex:

Use Run -> gpedit.msc.
Go to: User Configuration - Administrative Templates - System
Edit the Custom User Interface value to explorer.exe. This should work :)
If this doesn't work, you can go into the registry and change it yourself.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER key: Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Look for a string entry called 'Shell'. If it is not there, create a string entry and name it 'Shell'. Set this value to 'explorer.exe'

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back