Change right click properties

E

EftheM

Hello,

First: good job here on the forums :)

Second: I have this problem. When I right click on a *.gif file there is the option edit. When I click on that MS Paint starts up. Now ofcourse you cannot edit a *.gif with MS Paint correctly, so I want to change that. That instead of MS Paint, Ulead Gif Animator starts. Now I have searched in the folderoptions>file types, but I can't change it in there. I have searched my whole reg.. can't find it. So I got back into the folder options again and added one edit link to the right click options. (I thought maybe it will overwrite the existing one.) But that didn't happen so now I;m stuck with two edit options hehe LOL the first one is the one I made. The second one to MS Paint.

Is there anybody here that knows sum about changing that? So I only get one edit option directing to the right program?

Thnx in advance!

EftheM

Right click a GIF file
Look for "Opens with..."
Click "Change..."
Check the box "Always use..."
Click OK

Should work.

I have checked: the open with is not there. I've got:

example
open
edit
print
edit

hehe

Did you look in the registry under:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\giffile\shell
In HKC_ROOT you have to scroll down about half a mile then the abc starts a second time. The edit options should be in there.

hey yoyo

I checked in there...

indeed there is the edit option.. but it is the one I added myself..

the one that was standard in there is missing..

grrrr...

okay, I wasn't clear.

Right click a GIF file, choose properties, the continue on with what I explained.

madmatt

that works now indeed, but wasn't what I ment. because for just viewing a gif file the MS photo editer viewbox comes in very handy. And by changing what you advised that will be gone...

I have to change the edit option, not that open option..

thnx for the advice though ;)

ahh. that will take some digging, I am not sure that can be accomplished.

hopefully dealer or allan will see this thread, they will know better than I.

You will find this edit-key very likely in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command but this one is for all imagefiles. It is not possible to change this only for gifs.

hey yoyo that one worked :)

thnx very much

[though if someone could make it change only for gifs, I would be even more happier :D]

Copy and paste this into Notepad and save it as gifs.reg then double-click it, but replace the address of Photoshop with the address of your application:-
------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.gif\shell\edit\command]
@="\"I:\\Program_Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop 9.0\\Photoshop.exe\" %1"
-------------------------------------------------

Great, it will be easier and quicker to go into the registry and make the Keys yourself I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back