change ip address

thier? If you have a router with a static IP then you change it on the computer. But you cant really change an ip. I think DSL changes IPs when it connects

It depends on if you have a static or dynamic IP address assigned by your internet provider.

A dynamic IP will usually change periodically when you have your router (cable or DSL) disconnected. Try unplugging your router over night.

If you have a static IP and are getting attacked you can call your ISP and request the IP be changed. They proabbly won't do it since then they would have to give that IP to someone else.

Changing mac address will change your IP.

Search >>>> SMAC

where do i change my mac address

oh and if it helps any i want to change my ip address b/c i was wrongfully kicked from a server on a game and i want to get back on and this particlular server kicks by using ip adresses

and leejend i unplug my router instead of my modem??????

You could also use a free proxy server to mask your real IP. Not sure if that's really ethical in this instance, but if you were wrongfully kicked off then I suppose it could be justified.

Also, you might try releasing and renewing your IP to see if it changes.

From the command prompt:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Chances are that you'll pull the same IP, but it might be dynamic.

Does this game server have mods, or is it all scripts kicking? If the former then joining w/ a new IP will only get you a perm ban (wrongful ban or not) most likely. Most games have tons of servers .. pick a new one. :)

this is the only server witht the good mods so i have to find a new way in

i guess ill try keeping my modem and router unpluged over night

Depending on your connection you could always host your own game and have whatever mods you want. :p

If you have a dynamic IP, just turning the modem off and back on will usually give you a new IP address. Changing the MAC addres won't do anything, nor do you have to turn the modem off overnight.

American Zombie said:
Changing mac address will change your IP.

Search >>>> SMAC

Actually changing the MAC address won't do anything, and the MAC really can't be changed. His IP is tied to the MAC on his Cable/DSL Modem.

LeeJend said:
It depends on if you have a static or dynamic IP address assigned by your internet provider.

A dynamic IP will usually change periodically when you have your router (cable or DSL) disconnected. Try unplugging your router over night.

If you have a static IP and are getting attacked you can call your ISP and request the IP be changed. They proabbly won't do it since then they would have to give that IP to someone else.

I have Comcast, and I know for a fact they won't forcefully change your IP for ANY reason without a Court Order. Kinda lame when you can do it yourself. Only way I know that it is guarenteed to work is leaving your modem off for at least 12 hours, hoping your neighbors or someone else in your node will obtain your IP.

muzikool said:
You could also use a free proxy server to mask your real IP. Not sure if that's really ethical in this instance, but if you were wrongfully kicked off then I suppose it could be justified.

Also, you might try releasing and renewing your IP to see if it changes.

From the command prompt:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Chances are that you'll pull the same IP, but it might be dynamic.

Also make sure that if you have a router, you do the /release and /renew on the router itself. Running this locally on a PC when there is a router setup will only pull a different 192.168.1.x IP which is Internal.

alright thank you all u all are always very helpful

can someone give me some rep points this is sad:(

kcnychief said:
Actually changing the MAC address won't do anything, and the MAC really can't be changed. His IP is tied to the MAC on his Cable/DSL Modem.

Sorry but you are wrong.

Changing MAC of your network connection (network card) does work to change IP address.

I have Comcast as well and all I have to do is change the MAC of my NIC. Reboot PC and modem then my IP address changes.

If I hook up to USB instead of going through my network card I get a different IP address as well.

You just have to make sure you reboot modem after changing MAC as Comcast only allows one MAC address now be it NIC or USB connection.

Last edited:
iceman7311 said:
alright thank you all u all are always very helpful

can someone give me some rep points this is sad:(

Do you give rep points to people who help you? That's the best way to get rep points later on.

You can change a MAC. When I had Qwest.net sometime back and I had a NIC card go bad on me, I swapped it out with another. Not only a different MAC (obviously) but a dif manufacturer (part of the MAC is manufacturer specific, so it will be the same on all 3Com NICs for instance) and the remaining part is unique per card... Never had to contact them.

I wouldn't recommend this for long, but if on DHCP, you can ping for an unused MAC, and then statically assign that to your PC. I wouldn't keep it long though, as if the DHCP server assigns it, and you have it statically assigned, it can cause some probs. The same IP can't be used twice...

If attacks is the consideration, you really need a firewall at your end. Whatever IP you have, you'll notice port scans and stuff not all that uncommonly. If hackers find something of interest, they might test some things off your box, even with another IP. Best to secure your box...

Oh, and BTW, if it's static, don't bother without calling them. All IPs not provisioned are probably locked out of the system. If there's a prob (as one developed with one of my IPs), just call them. My package does come with multiple IPs. Anyhow, when I couldn't even ping the gateway with it, let along browse or play a game, tech support just said "oh, we've had some probs like that with other customers too. Don't know why." No more questions, he did a depro on the non-working IP address, and re-provisioned it right there, no doubt leaving it to their engineers to track down why this was happening to multiple customers, without the customers losing some of their services.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back