Change document and settings folder +

illmaticone

OSNN Junior Addict
ok i know how to change document and settings folder but my question is how do i change the default directory so that way when a new user is created it doenst create it in C:\document and settings\new user
but instead .. lets say D:\new user

thanks for your help

See, I disagree completely with moving the directory entirely, and that is because it can confuse users. My preferred method of doing it is with folder re-direction. This way the folder structure is still there, incase the user wants to go to C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\desktop , etc. just because they can. If you move to a different volume or directory, that can get confusing. Also, a common misconception, is that you do NOT need a Domain type environment to enable folder re-direction.

Maintaining your desire to have files on D:\users....

You want to write a login script that changes the folder locations via the registry. The path(s) you want to modify are as follows:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Desktop

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\My Documents

Etc.

I would place this script in the "Default User" profile, in the startup folder, which will effect all users going forward. Login with each user profile already created, or place in the "All Users" folder so it will happen when they next login.

I have the script at home, so I can post something more detailed when I get there. I was doing this from memory, so I apologize for the lack of detail here. It has worked well for me in the past, and if you are in a DC environment with ADUC, you can do this through GPO as well

EDIT: My way doesn't really answer your question to specifically MOVE the folders, but is an alterior suggestion :)

well my reason for moving the the directory is because what i do is deep freeze the machine so there are no PEBKAC issues, but i want to give my users the right to save files so what i do is create a second partiton that is not "frozen" and redirect all the directories to that partition and hide that partition. basically everything on the system is protected and preserved but i'm giving them the ability to save files in their my documents only. So if i change the profile directory from %systemdrive%/documents and settings/ to lets say E:/documents and settings/ when ever a new user is created their files (my documents, favorites, desktop etc) are created on the E drive and not the C? thanks

I just made the change in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and it did create the new folders in the new directory, now how do i make the change so windows defaultly LOOKS ate E:\Documents and settings\ instead of %systemdrive%\documents.... with out using tweakui for each user

I think if you use GETSID, grab the SID of the Default User. Once you have that, edit the proper values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back