change a partition size?

mooo

thecyberninja
Is there a way i can change the partition size on my main windows drive? so i don't have to worry about moving folders over again if anything happens to my windows dir? i think it was in mmc but not sure if that does it.

damn i didn't wanna have to pay for software :p but i guess i think i got a copy of like 6 or 5 somewhere around here

wow toretto, we have same bday date, you are just 2years older. july 21 musta been a good day

mooo make sure to make a backup and defrag your drive 1st just to be safe ;)

i used partition magic to partition my drives and it f**** up the partition tables... i used linux (knoppix) as a rescue disc to get a backup for my files because i had by a mistake thrown them away...
now i can't start windows xp (not even in safemode) but knoppix was able to read from the partitions (linux don't have any priveligous too modify an ntfs) and i just want to re-install an operating system (regardless of type) to my hd, but i can't boot up my system because of the wrong-doings in my partitions...
anyone who knows what to do?

Partition Magic Sux .. Use Acronis Partition Expert.

I've used Partition Magic 8.0 on multiple occasions without problems. I wouldn't go so far as to say it sucks. Isolated cases don't say much about the overall quality of a product.

/me wonders why partition magic says something like...."CAUTION - back up all files first."

I've never had a problem with it either altough I do think it is best to get the partition sizes right before putting anything on the drive.

Only thing I use now is the XP cd.

I have always had a problem with Partition magic. It never went so far as to mess things up. Most cases it would not work. I always get these errors saying that it could perform certian things. Whereas PartitionExpert goes straight threw with a hitch.

Some have good experiences, some have bad. I just happen to have bad., Plus I feel symantec purchasing it just pushed it further down the tubes ...

@Hipster - I agree with you on the point of sizing it before you put in the os. But when you get to a situation where you have to resize the partition: PartitionExpert is the best one to use.

Start > Run > DISKMGMT.MSC

There ya go. Built in partitioning program.
I know that doesn't help when you can't boot up. But it would probably have been the easier route.

ShepsCrook said:

I know that doesn't help when you can't boot up. But it would probably have been the easier route.
The Windows Disk Management utility does not support non-destructive partitioning. You still need third-party software to do that.

ShepsCrook said:

That is joke .. Not a partitioning utility ...

from past experience...
what a nightmare partition magic was.

i wanted to do a resize...
it started, and failed at aorund 20%...blue screen. lost everything.

good luck, i hope the software is better these days

well, thanx for everything! it seems that there is people with problems of my kind, but no solutions...

jactor said:
i used partition magic to partition my drives and it f**** up the partition tables... i used linux (knoppix) as a rescue disc to get a backup for my files because i had by a mistake thrown them away...
now i can't start windows xp (not even in safemode) but knoppix was able to read from the partitions (linux don't have any priveligous too modify an ntfs) and i just want to re-install an operating system (regardless of type) to my hd, but i can't boot up my system because of the wrong-doings in my partitions...
anyone who knows what to do?
Knoppix can read AND right NTFS (though not 100% recommended) but you have to use the 2.6.x keneral [knoppix26 at boot] and change to root before changing permissions on the drive I believe. Also if you havn't gone and formated your HD yet and want to try and get your partition tables back you could try an app called "qpart". Here is a site that mentions use of it and might help you along some hopefully. Look @ paragraph 6 and 7.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back