Challenging The Da Vinci Code

CinemaCritique

OSNN Newbie
Challenging The Da Vinci Code, what can you say about this intriguing movie?

davincicodetj2.jpg

Have you read the best selling book “The Da Vinci Code” written by Dan Brown? Or have you watched the movie with the same title which starred Tom Hanks? I did, out of curiosity. I must admit, the book and the movie presented information that almost tarnish my faith. This documentary entitled Challenging The Da Vinci code features bible scholars brought together to depend the very basis of Christian faith, the Bible. This documentary aims to answers the common questions of those who have seen and saw the book and movie, The Da Vinci code. Did Jesus really marry Mary Magdalene and had a child with her? Is Mary Magdalene the Holy Grail? Is Christian faith based on a holy lie? What is Priory of Scion and who are the members? Are they really protecting Jesus’ bloodline? The bible experts will answer these troubling questions and will react on Dan Brown’s work.

DaVinci code did not in any way tarnish or attempt to tarnish the christian or catholic faiths. The catholic church is more than capable of doing that on a daily bases and demonstrates as such quite regularly.

The book was a work of science fantasy, clearly stated as such and was more of a "what if?" than anything else.

It is a well known fact that in the past the catholic church has attempted or succeeded in persecuting and subverting those that crossed its path.

The program itself is quite interesting, I do think though that alot of people fiercly over-reacted to this book and film.

Opus Dei is after my mind...as are the knights Templar and the order of Columbus.

The book was a work of science fantasy, clearly stated as such and was more of a "what if?" than anything else.

Good point. I think people have a big tendency to over react to "historical fiction"...look at the reaction 300 got in Iran.

Actually, although I liked the Da Vinci Code, Brown repeatedly claimed that it was based on factual organisations and events, despite the fact that the Prior of Scion is entirely fictional.

But yes, the Church did go crazy and create all manner of problems for itself!

He's a little more deceptive than that actually. I'll give you a quote from the 'fact' list I have at the front of my copy of The Da Vinci Code:

"The Priory of Scion - a European Secret Society founded in 1099 - is a real organization.

All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate"

There is no real evidence for the existence of the Priory of Scion at all, it's little more than a conspiracy theory.

I agree with what you say about the church causing its own problems by ironically creating masses of free publicity for the book, but Dan Brown clearly also created false impressions of the facts.

If it is a secret society , why would there be proof? Obviously he doesn't mention the Illumanati, or the Gnome bankers of Zurich, or even the Free masons, which do actually exist.

^ If I remember correctly, he does talk about the Illumnati, and the Free Masons in his other books. (I've read them, but I can't remember which ones)...

That is true, but we are talking about the Da Vinci code and the order of Opus Dei as well as the Priori of Scion

If it is a secret society, for which there is no proof, then he shouldn't list it under a 'facts' section! Clearly, something for which there is no real proof should not be listed under a 'fact list'.

Then quite why the church is taking issue to this is a mystery too, since no higher being is proven to exist, yet the churces and religions of the world clearly believe that the existance of one or more is fact. Why else would they kick up a stick over a work of fiction which was taking a "what if" look at a work of fiction?

since no higher being is proven to exist

There's no way to prove that such a higher being does not exist, nor is it possible to prove that such a higher being does exist.

In a sense, the theist and the atheist beliefs are the same - they are based on faith rather than fact.

Then quite why the church is taking issue to this is a mystery too, since no higher being is proven to exist, yet the churces and religions of the world clearly believe that the existance of one or more is fact. Why else would they kick up a stick over a work of fiction which was taking a "what if" look at a work of fiction?

That may well be true, but I still consider it cheeky of Brown to list the existence of the Priory of Scion under his list of 'facts'!

That may well be true, but I still consider it cheeky of Brown to list the existence of the Priory of Scion under his list of 'facts'!

I get it man I get it :p

Tbh, he shouldn't have, but I'm sure most people have the common sense to check the Internet for further fact checking. ;)

They ought to :) I wonder how many people still think Fargo was based on a true story hehe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back