centrino

Originally posted by prodj88
hey does anyone own one or do they know if its faster than athlon xp processors?

it is mobile technology... :)

also... intel is apparently working on a non mhz based performance numbering style system for this products desktop versions.... as it appears to outperform higher clocked p4 solutions :)

interesting how pr works isn't it ?

:)

Funny how AMD was the first to want to move away from the mhz based performance numbering style system and now Intel is about to follow suit. :confused:

it's ahrd to figure out what the website says about this technology

first, it seems to be a wriless internet solution like t mobile.

then, it seems to be many things as a strategy in concert, and not any one technology

and then, it seems to be a technology that's specifically for one chip

hard to follow the intel page on this one, but supposedly, 6 hour battery life for laptops is part of the achievement

this I got to see

Originally posted by gonaads
Funny how AMD was the first to want to move away from the mhz based performance numbering style system and now Intel is about to follow suit. :confused:

intel has promoted their mhz STRONGLY in various PR campaigns.. it will be interesting to see what happens now... and how sites like THG will respond... :)

Originally posted by gonaads
interesting how AMD actually started the mhz based performance back when intel couldn't break the 700mhz limit and amd where selling 800mhz processors and damn proud of themselves for doing it, talk about PR.

Originally posted by Benny
interesting how AMD actually started the mhz based performance back when intel couldn't break the 700mhz limit and amd where selling 800mhz processors and damn proud of themselves for doing it, talk about PR.

intel has ALWAYS emphasized mhz... @ the time the way things worked... you could do apples to apples benching based on mhz alone... amd then moved away from that with their new athlon lineup..

they have now for the past couple of years been held in lower regard because of the mhz disparity...

amd was the first to move away from the MHz myth... intel has stayed the path till now..

talk about pr...

:)

i still don't see it that way, the fact AMD ran away when Intel started outgrowing them in MHZ don't mean nothing to me.
the fact is that if you look at any benchmark results and the only thing you change is the MB+Processor to a similar MB with a Intel processor you get about the same results.
so if its not MHZ (and i'm not saying it is) what is it and why wont AMD use it?

need i say "talk about PR" ?

i still don't see it that way, the fact AMD ran away when Intel started outgrowing them in MHZ don't mean nothing to me.
the fact is that if you look at any benchmark results and the only thing you change is the MB+Processor to a similar MB with a Intel processor you get about the same results.
so if its not MHZ (and i'm not saying it is) what is it and why wont AMD use it?

need i say "talk about PR" ?

amd has been advocating using PERFORMANCE instead of mhz. intel always has advocated mhz above performance in their pr... thats my point...

I am not saying intel > amd or vice versa.. thats just the way I see it...

Originally posted by Sazar
amd has been advocating using PERFORMANCE instead of mhz. intel always has advocated mhz above performance in their pr... thats my point...

I am not saying intel > amd or vice versa.. thats just the way I see it...
So where is the big difference in PERFORMANCE you are talking about, i sure haven't seen it, enlighten me Sazar, show me where that PERFORMANCE is.

PR.

So where is the big difference in PERFORMANCE you are talking about, i sure haven't seen it, enlighten me Sazar, show me where that PERFORMANCE is.

PR.

dark2.gif

I heard one person call a Centrino a glorified Celeron. ;) That was his opinion. :confused:

Originally posted by xsivforce
I heard one person call a Centrino a glorified Celeron. ;) That was his opinion. :confused:

centrino's architecture is actually quite good... better than the northwoods IMO... and lets see how the future gens of cpu's from intel go...

Protected???

Centrino is a new class of mobile chips if i'm not mistaken. Sort of like celeron's, P4-M etc.

centrino concentrates on lower power consumption and is also optimised for wireless computing.

To use a centrino cpu AND use a intel centrino sticker, the manufacturer must meet the requirements that Intel has set out. So that most Centrino's are standardised with bells and whistles being the difference.

The centrino is far better than the P4-M due to the amount of heat produced and HUGE wattage difference.

A centrino currently at idle uses 40% less wattage than a P4-M.

Huge cut i must say. AMD are countering this with their soon to be released mobile solutions. Can't remember the code name but its meant to be on par with wattage consumption but no harsh wireless requirements.

As for Benny. Compare a Pentium 4 1.5ghz with an Athlon XP 1800+ (1533mhz). An athlon that has 33 more mhz than a Pentium 4 whoops its ass. Heck use a 1700+ =P

I'll find the centrino articles i've been reading in the PC magazines and write a summary of the facts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back