Centrino question

DoNuTjC

OSNN Addict
I'm in the market in buying a laptop and i've seen some laptops with centrino in it and I wanted to know what it is... I know its something to do with wireless stuff but how is the performance cause the only laptops that I've seen are no higher then 1.7ghz so I would think that its slow...

let me know...

thanks a lot

I just purchased a Dell 600M, Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHZ, with 512 Megs of memory, 64 MB Radeon 9000, 40 gig HD 5400 RPM, any comments are welcome. People with Intel Centrino labtops...how well does yours perform. I dont usually play games as often as some people, but I like to copy music CD's and ****. Ohh it comes with a CDRW/DVD Combo...Any comments?

Originally posted by Jords007
I just purchased a Dell 600M, Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHZ, with 512 Megs of memory, 64 MB Radeon 9000, 40 gig HD 5400 RPM, any comments are welcome. People with Intel Centrino labtops...how well does yours perform. I dont usually play games as often as some people, but I like to copy music CD's and ****. Ohh it comes with a CDRW/DVD Combo...Any comments?

How well does it perform? I'm not going to be playing any games on it... I have another computer for that... I just don't want a laptop thats going to be slow...

centrino has built in wireless technology that allows you to connect to any wireless connection around (ie. internet cafes and such) i remember reading about this on the intel web site but the centrino processors have a longer pipeline then the pentium 3 but shorter then the pentium 4. this allows to to be fast but also consume much less power the a regualr P4. i believe you can get like 6-8 hours on a centrino laptop and like 2-4 hours on a non-centrino (not sure these numbers) hope that answered your questions.

Ok, benchmarks show that a 1.3GHz Pentium-M processor (the ones that come with Centrino laptops) performs the same as a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 CPU in day-to-day applications.

The advantage is that you're getting the same kind of performance in office applicatione etc. at lower clock speeds. This leads to lower power consumption, which is why Centrino laptops have a much better battery life than other laptops.
An added bonus is the built-in WiFi, although that is now available in non-Centrino laptops as well now.

Bottomline: The main reason you would want to get a Pentium-M is that it runs cooler than regular processors, and gives you better battery life.
:)

Originally posted by NetRyder
Bottomline: The main reason you would want to get a Pentium-M is that it runs cooler than regular processors, and gives you better battery life.
:)
also, centrino's are generally lighter and thinner.

stupid question, but owbout gaming?
which of these options should I get?

a dell inspiron 5100 with a p4-m 2.66ghz
32mb radeon 7500

or

dell latitude d600
pentium centrino 1.3ghz
32mb radeon 7500

?

unless you're going for a hardcore gaming laptop (ti4200 go, upcoming mobility radeon 9600), i'd go with a centrino laptop. it's new technology is made for increased battery life and reduced size, weight, and heat. it's the future of laptops and just makes sense.
go for centrino. :)

yup, I went with a centrino 1.4, 256mb ddr ram (will upgrade thru crucial, thru this site of course), 64mb ATI radeon 9000 vid card. it cost me just under $1300 (US) after discounts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back