CentOS 4.1 MailServer Howto

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I am totally new to CentOS 4.1. I am trying to switch over from a Win2003Server to a CentOS Server. I would like to start with the MailServer.

This is my first time working with Linux.

Where could I a locate a howto on setting up the Mailserver.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Thanks LordOfLA,

There is something called sendmail that's installed already. I noticed it when I installed CentOS. In your opinion, what would be best (easiest to config as well for a CentOS noob)? As well, for the life of me, I cannot see the GUI of where I can configure it (Sendmail).

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

This is linux, don't expect GUI's. Don't use Sendmail, it is hard to configure, and has had many known security issues. Just install qmail using the guide LordOfLA posted

its best not to use sendmail as j79 said. I'll see if I can find you a toaster-type guid that will set you up with a web based front end.

You also have the option of buying monthly control panel licenses from datacentres for things like cpanel, plesk and directadmin if your intended use of the server would benefit from that.

These licenses cost more per month than if you were using them on a server at the datacentre, but most certainly will be able to sell you an "external" license.

I'll see if I can get you a toaster though so you can evaluate both options.

Thanks LordOfLA, J.

I want to learn Linux, but I need a guiding hand with this. If it has no GUI, then so be it. I could take it. But some form of guidance for me right now is greatly appreciated as I tackle something for me.

BTW, CentOS looks way more easier to use than FreeBSD. I tried FreeBSD tree different times, each time swearing that I would never go that route again.

Thanks again LordOfLA,

Heeter

heh I said the exact same thing about freebsd.

6 months later I practically became a freebsd zealot :)

AS someone who has seen and administered the best of both worlds I can state that FreeBSD is far easier to administrate than Centos could ever hope to be - once you've learned the in's and outs.

One thing that makes freebsd easier is the "hier" manpage in seection7 (those interesed on freebsd can type 'man 7 hier' and take a look (without quotes).

However Centos will do you just as well if thats what you are most comfortable with.

You can add me to msn if you like using the email address in my sig I'm around usually 20:00 - 09:00 UK time. Supporting FreeBSD and Centos is my job so I cna help out if I'm not busy.

Thanks again, LordOfLA,

I usually hit a wall with FreeBSD when it came time to integrate my mirrored NTFS HD's. It would never recognize my HD's. It would never recognize my Promise Raid controllers as well (TX2000). I posted on other sites to no avail. I was getting the hang of FreeBSD up until then. Oh well. With nearly over a terabyte of info on all the NTFS harddrives combined. Sadly, my heart was incredibly set on the FreeBSD migration for this little home network of five machines. Maybe that's why I tried three different times. I really, really wanted to be a FreeBSD zealot myself.

I will take you up on your offer. Whole-hearted thanks for this. I really appreciate it.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back