"CE" logo on electronics?

Keshik

OSNN Addict
Does anyone know what the CE symbol on electronics (in the US at least) stands for? Is it consumer electronics?

Thanks.

he CE mark is a declaration on manufactured products sold in the European Union (EU) that the item meets all the requirements of relevant EU directives. For example, the EU Directive concerning Liability for Defective Products makes EU importers liable for the products they import, including the machinery they provide to their employees for work.
Officially, CE has no meaning as an abbreviation [1] but may have originally stood for Communauté Européenne or Conformité Européenne.
It is mandatory that all regulated products carry such a mark. To permit the use of a CE mark on a product, proof that the item meets the relevant requirements must be documented. Sometimes this is achieved using an external test house which evaluates the product and its documentation. Often it is achieved by a company-internal self certification process. The directives and mark are also valid in the non-EU nations Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
And then there's the UL, the U.S. equivalent of the CE Logo:
Underwriters Laboratories is a well-known testing laboratory that develops standards for consumer products, chiefly dealing with product safety.
A product with Underwriters Laboratories approval is said to be "UL-rated." Purchasers can identify such products by the distinctive UL Mark [1], accompanied by a serial number.
UL has ratings standards for many products, even bullet-proof vests. The average householder may be more familiar with UL-rated products such as home electrical appliances.
A moderately famous video clip shows UL researchers demonstrating the risks of certain models of deep-fat turkey fryer. This serves as a suggestion of the importance of this sort of product testing.

Information taken from http://wikipedia.com/ :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back