CDRW Crashes XP

K

kreiner

I have a Plextor 16/10/40 CDRW installed on an AMD Athlon - Tyan 2390 w/ VIA chipset running XP & 256MB ram. I have had problems with burning CD's when the data is pre written to the hard drive. I've tried several different programs including the native roxio XP stuff. CD to CD seems to work fine and I was able to burn from an image that was created and sent to me. However if I do a burn that requires data to be written to the harddrive first it reboots the machine at some point in the BURN phase.
Ive looked into bad memory and that does not seem to be it.

ANY IDEAS???

Thnx!

Kevin - kreiner@bubblejunkie.com

Nero results

Well I loaded Nero just to see what if anything would change......I still have issues however Nero, instead of rebooting the system, throws a "Cannot read Memory....." error. So at least I know some info on what is going on now. Im going to start by replacing all my mem and then look at paging to the disk as a source of the problem. Plextor support was zero help.

If anyone else has any input....please feel free.

Thnx!

Kevin - kreiner@bubblejunkie.com

Have you looked in event viewer for any clues.
maybe uninstall your cdrw, and reboot so it reinstalls.
If it is a memory error you would have trouble with other things.

Do you have a CD drive installed as well, if so what is set as Master and Slave.

Also have you looked in system info for any IRQ or Address conflicts.

Are you running the latest BIOS update.

Problem Solved!

After some debate I decided to persue a driver issue of some sort.
Started with the drivers for the mainboard (VIA Chipset) and upgraded to the newest 4in1 set as listed on the XP-erience.com home page and that resolved the issue. Also I am quite happy with Nero and would recogmend that over EZCD any day of the week!

Thnx for the help Westy1!

Kevin - kreiner@bublejunkie.com

"Pain is a Part of Life . . . . Misery is an Option!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back