Cdrom Drive Not Showing !!!

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
hi. my cdrom drive in my winXP pro is not showing on my win-explorer. i did check it from device manager and it says that it functioning properly. i did try to unistall it (program) and even changed the cdrom itself with a the same cdrom and even changed the cable inside but still the cdrom drive is not showing. all it shows are my hd drives. the cdrom drive opens when i press the open/close button and it reads temporarily when i insert a cd but it doesn't show an extra drive in the win-explorer when i open it.
what else can i do?
i appreciate your help.
thanks.

Hmm... not sure what else to suggest other than to create a shortcut to the drive. For instance, if it's E: then make the shortcut point to "E:"

1) If it's on it's on IDE controller, uninstall the IDE controller from device manager and reboot. See if it will find the IDE controller on reboot, if not, try to reinstall it.

2) If not the above, unplug the cdrom, boot, shutdown, plug it back in and boot and see if it finds the new hardware.

i did unistall the IDE controller and reboot and it installed itself and i did unplug the hardware and found it after plugging it back but still it won't show on win-explorer.

how do i make a shortcut? i tried dragging an icon from desktop and changed the shortcut target but it says that it should be a valid location. :(

thanks.

My 2 cents...

it might be a conflict between the cd-rom and the other ide device on the same ide channel. At the begining, was the cd-rom drive new in the system ?
My experience: I can't have my dvd drive and my dvd-burner on the same ide channel, one of the two wouldn't show in explorer (but the eject button worked just fine)... I put the 2 drives on different ide channels and voila, I could see them both in explorer and use them.
This may not be your case, but I was happy when I found out the 2 drives wanted to be on separate ways...

Go to the control panel/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management.

You should see the cd rom in there to the right. See if it is still assigned a drive letter. If not reassign it by right clicking on it.

hi. i had recently posted this thread but can't find it anymore.
one day i just realized that my cdrom is not displaying in my win-explorer. i already did the following :
1. uninstall IDE controller driver and re-installed it
2. removed cdrom - reboot - plugged it back
3. in the device manager - it says that the device is working properly
4. replaced the cdrom with another one that works
5. replaced the IDE cable
>>> nothing happened !!!

what else can i do?
last option, re-setup???

thanks.

yes. thanks. i will continue my inquiry in the old thread. :)

i did try to follow the instruction to work on the registry and saved the exported key. after rebooting, do i need to run the "savedkey"?
i clicked on " control panel/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management ", the cdrom is missing there. i only got 2 hd on 1IDE channel and 1 cdrom on the other channel. the PC used to recognize the cdrom.
what do i need to do next?
thanks.

The 2 cdrom drives are on the same channel ? I told you above that you may have to set your ide devices as follow:

1st channel: 1 hdd + 1 cdrom (master/slave)
2nd channel: 2nd hdd + 2nd cdrom (master/slave or slave/master, whatever)

Of course, moving them in the case might be necessary...

percy
(quote - i did try to follow the instruction to work on the registry and saved the exported key. after rebooting, do i need to run the "savedkey"?)

I'm not sure I follow what you did so far?

If your not familiar with the registry be careful.

where the article tells to (click export - type savedkey - save) this is your backup of that subkey if something was to go wrong you could install that backup. (merge it back in)

when you were in the registry subkey were the Upperfilers and Lowerfilters there?
If so did you delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters in that subkey and then reboot?
Did the drive showup then or not?

(Just make sure you backup the subkey first)

hi.
i did have a backup for the reg key as the instruction had it. i had deleted the upper and lowerfilers and did reboot the pc but still no cdrom.

what i did not do yet is : 1 IDE channel has 2 hd and the other IDE channel has the cdrom. i will separate 1 hd + cdrom on 1 IDE channel and the other hd to the other IDE channel and i'll see what'll happen.

i'll post back. i appreciate your help... thanks.

i connected 1 hdd + cdrom on the 1 channel and 2nd hdd to the 2 IDE channel. reboot then the cdrom came out. the 1 hdd was the primary (maxtor with jumper j50) and the cdrom with jumper at slave. the 2nd hdd did not show up on the winexplorer, the 2nd hdd is on the 2nd IDE channel because probably it has no jumper since it is a maxtor and it needs a jumper to be a master and i have no jumper it would think that it is a slave. would it?
thanks.
any other configuration that i need to do?
have a great day.

Just out of curiosity unhook the ide cable and power from the CD drive and use the jumper to set the harddrive as master that is on the secondary IDE.

So it would go like this (Primary IDE harddrive as master no slave secondary IDE harddrive as master no slave)
This way you can see if both harddrives show up or not.

The reason I say this is I have heard stories of motherboards (or I guess maybe the OS) that just quit allowing you to use the third or fourth IDE device. Two devices on one controller or one device on each controller but just quit allowing use of a third device?

I haven’t experienced this yet it’s just I’ve had some people tell me they have so it may be something to look at.

check both

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

for a DWORD NoDrives, if its there, delete it. This hides drives in MyComputer and Explorer.

I had a problem a long time ago in Win95/98 where my CDROM would not show up. Finally I discovered a "NoIDE" key in the registry (NO idea why Windows put that in, some stupid hiccup) was prohibiting the the CDROM from operating/showing up properly. Last ditch effort, anyway. Good luck.

j79zlr said:
check both

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

for a DWORD NoDrives, if its there, delete it. This hides drives in MyComputer and Explorer.

Isn't that if the value is 3ffffff

I kinda remember a virus able to do this at one time? (I think)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back