cdrom and cdrw are showing as local disk

S

skeeter7325

Installed XP Pro. on new WD hard drive. All went well, except my cdrw and dvd-rom are showing up as local disks. I have tried uninstalling and on the reinstall after boot all is fine, both disks show cdrom icons in my computer. The only problem is that they autorun and show icons instead of starting the disk. But after reboot, the icons disappear and are replaced with local disk names and icons. I purchased the drives approx. 6 to 8 months ago, and was wondering if they might not be XP compatable. Plus if I leave a disk in the drive for an extended period of time, the ballon pop-up shows low disk space, so the machine may think they are hard drives?? The drives in reference are a Philips PRCW1208 CDRW, and a Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621. Also both drives show as (Unknown) in device manager. I am using the drivers installed by XP on install, because I haven't had any luck finding different drivers. Replies would be appreciated......

Mobo

The motherboard is an ASUS A7V133 200/266FSB Socket A w/ an AMD Duron 800.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back