CD-RW Drive Mysteriously Ejects At Startup

D

Da_Violator

I just reinstalled Windows XP and after a couple of weeks (I'm not sure after which program specifically), the tray of my CD-RW started opening by itself. I haven't burned a CD since I reinstalled Windows. Does anyone out there know what my problem is??

My CD-RW is a Samsung 8x4x32...it has never done this before and this is my second installation of Windows XP.

I have tried removing from the device from the device manager, but the problem is still occuring. If anyone has a possible solution to this really strange problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Violator

So this is just on startup? Are you connected to the net when this happens? Do you have antivirus and firewall installed? The reason I am asking is that there are few trojans that let the attacker do this, one notoriously famous one actually. If you're not on the net when this happens, i guess its something stuck in your drive - someone didn't stick toast in it by any chance? ;) :D

LOL....no I don't have toast stuck in it. It happens at startup and it also happens randomly when the computer is in use.

I have a broadband connection, and I have Zone Alarm as my firewall. If it is a trojan virus, what can I do to remove it...I've used Norton AV 2003 and an online Virus Scanner from my ISP's site. It's still happening.

Violator

If you've got a firewall going and an antivirus proggy going there's not much more you can do if it's a trojan, short of formatting, which I might suggest if someone has got a program that lets them gain access to your computer. You could reinstall/reset zonealarm so that you have a clear list of programs (you might have allowed a program that is suspect), see if anything trys to access the net before the drive opens.

It sounds like a trojan but I can't be sure. Anyone else got any suggestions? Drivers?

CD-RW Drive

First of all, I have the same problem with one of my drives on a gateway. The cd drive opens and closes at will. There is a button that I push on the front case of the computer, which hits a button on the actual drive. I thought that the drive itself was seated to close to the front of the case. I tried moving it back, and it did take care of my problem. It is still a little touchy when it's open, it's tempermental and likes to shut as soon as i try to grab a cd. The other thing i would check for is any updated drivers for the drive at the manufacturers website.

Does it do it before you get into windows? If so, it might be a firmware problem. I had the same thing on a lite-on drive and fixed it with a firmware update. If it doesn't do it until you're in windows, it might not hurt to check for a firmware update anyway.

Ah! I remember another thread about this. Does sound like a virus to me, unless your drive, it wants you to use it as a cup holder or something :cool: :p

Check the programs run at startup. Maybe one of them is opening the drive?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back