CD-Rs Recognized As CD-RWs

• Thread starter SqeezyCheez
  • Start date
S

SqeezyCheez

Everytime I try to burn a CD-R (Yes, I'm Sure It's A CD-R) it tells me it's a CD-RW. No matter what CD writing software I use it gives me this message. My CD burner has become useless! I try to burn music, it finishes but doesn't work. I try to burn data the speed slows to the CD-RW speed of 2x. It has worked before, and I haven't installed any "risky" software on my PC. Can anyone help me? Doesn't sound like a common problem...

Another thing. Whenever I tell Windows XP to shut down, it just freezes at the log off screen saying "Windows is shuting down..." And yes, my BIOS supports auto-shutoff.

Thank you.

it might be because your hardware is not compatible with XP u might have to check with the maker

It has worked before, and I haven't installed any "risky" software on my PC.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but everytime I post a qestion people never seem to understand. I've already mentioned that my CD burner has worked before.

All right,

So it's worked under XP before.... For how long roughly?
What brand of CDRW is it (burning speeds, etc.)

What kind of media do you have, and I mean what does it say on the CD, or the package that you bought it in (not just what you think it is)?

How about burning programs. I don't believe this is the problem or even contributing, but what programs have you used?

Did you check w/ Microsoft's website like leonlai suggested to see if your CDRW is indeed supported? Even though it did work at one time, still a good idea to check.

How old is this burner? It might be dying, I had one a few years back that just decided to give it up. Piece of junk won't burn anything that is readable.

So it's worked under XP before.... For how long roughly?
Since Windows XP was released.
What kind of media do you have, and I mean what does it say on the CD, or the package that you bought it in (not just what you think it is)?
Comp USA, Samsung, iMation... just about everything.
How about burning programs. I don't believe this is the problem or even contributing, but what programs have you used?
I've used the latest versions of Nero, Easy CD Creator, and the Windows XP burner itself.
Did you check w/ Microsoft's website like leonlai suggested to see if your CDRW is indeed supported? Even though it did work at one time, still a good idea to check.
Yes I've checked that already; it basically says unknown. Once again it has always worked before, with all the latest updates.
How old is this burner? It might be dying, I had one a few years back that just decided to give it up. Piece of junk won't burn anything that is readable.
It's a Sony CRX-100E that's about two or three years old. I don't think it has died (have had this happen before) because it says all media I put into the damned thing is a CD-RW.

When I burn music it gives me a message like "this is a CD-RW that cannot be read properly in car stereos and CD players, would you like to continue anyway?" So I continue anyway and it says that it was succesfull. When I try to read the disk it just keeps trying to receive info from the drive.

I think someone on the Roxio support had the same problem, but nobody replied to his/her post.

Thanks for trying to help.

Well if you've tried all that and things still aren't working there are two more things I would have a go at. Get the latest firmware for the burner and clean install XP. Those two things have solved a few 'problems' for me in the past.

It does sound to me though that this thing is dying. My old CDRW would do things like that before it went totally haywire. I would "supposedly" get a good burn and then the CDRW would never be able to read it. It would spin up, spin down, spin up... ...

Althogh you said this is 2-3 yrs. old? What does that burn at anyway, 4X? If you've had it that long it's about at the end of its lifespan I think.

Do you have access to another burner somewhere that you know works. You could try putting that in your system, if it works then you've found your culprit.

I've been thinking about getting a new burner, because of the slow speed of 4x. What's the best new CD burner I can get, I've been looking at some Plextor ones... what CD buner would have the longest lifespan? Four or so years always seems way too short.

Hmm , best actual burner with the longest lifespan . Maybe this top : 24x all
Plextor
Teac
Yamaha ( maybe the second .. :rolleyes: )

and so on ...

Thinks about that the next year will bring cd-w with 48x !

I saw one just the other day that had 40x writing capability for CD-Rs.

Personally I don't think anyone really 'needs' anything above 24x. That burns a CD in 5 mins. which is plenty quick. Unless you are mass producing CD's for a business or something my plextor 24/10/40 is great!

Although there is something to be said for having the "biggest engine" in town <hehe> it's always a nice feeling.

As for the life span, if this thing lasts longer than 4 years you ought to by something new anyway with as fast as things become obsolete. :(

Goto

www.cdrlabs.com

and read up on all the CDRW's you'd like. From there you'll probably be able to make a pretty good decision.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back