CD-roms and secondary IDE problems

M

meisme

So heres the deal, the computer won't boot when either cd-rom is connected. It boots however if my secondary hard drive is connected to the secondary IDE channel (primary or slave). It wont boot however if the secondary hard dive is connected as Primary slave. And it wont boot if the floppy is connected, the computer used to see the floopy drive but couldnt read from it.

Summary:
Both cd-roms connected : no boot
Secondary hard drive connected to secondary IDE (both primary and slave) : boot
All devices disconnected except primary hard drive on Primary IDE(master)

I've tried all possible configurations but I still cannot get by second gard drive to work on the primary IDE and can't get the cd- rom to work on the secondary IDE (Primary and slave)

SYS specs:
XP pro
Compaq Presario 5102US
Athlon 1ghz
768mb pc133
Gf4 mx 440-se 64mb ddr
SBL live 5.1
PCtel v.90 modem
Quantum 13gb Primary
Quantum 40gb secondary
Asus 52x24x52 Primary
MA****a dvd-rom secondary

Please feel free to ask for any additional info.

I found the reason why the second hard drive wasnt working. There was a pushed in pin on the primary hard drive, I had to use a tweezer to pull it back out. So now both hard drives work. So now im on to the cd roms.

lol.... now that you have found out about the jumper settings on the drives, you'll need to make sure that the HD's are set to 'Master' for primary IDE and 'Slave' for the 2nd HD on primary IDE. Or, you can have the second HD on 'Master' on the secondary IDE.

I have bothe cd-roms on the secondary IDE, the entire problem was caused by the primary hard drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back