CD Rom label in explorer

D

djpast

is there anyway to edit how your cd-roms are label when you open explorer to my computer?

liek when you open explorer, i have cd-roms listed all with the label:

"CD Drive (drive letter:)"

is there anyway to change that to DVD Drive
or CD-RW or something? I know you can do this with harddrives...

Thats a damn good question :)

i just tried and it doesnt seem to rename , ill have a look around and see if it is possible

CD-Rom rename

With XP DVD-Drives and CD-RW Drives the service shell hardware detection is needed to activate the correct naming of these drives - i.e. DVD-Drive will show up in explorer/my computer as DVD drive and not CD-Rom Drive, the same is true for CD-RW Drives. So first make sure shell hardware detect is set to automatic. Go to:
Start>All Programs>AdministrativeTools>Services>shellhardwaredetection
(set this service to automatic)
It is important to note that this should work with all DVD-Drives, I have one of the first toshiba DVD Drives and it works fine, so newer DVD Drives should be no problem. However older CD-RW Drives sometime will only show up as CD-Rom Drive even if the service has been activated. I had an old creative CD-RW Drive and it won't show up as anything other than CD-Rom Drive. My new burner shows up as CD-RW Drive.
Hope this helps

THANKS GUYS!!! actually if you combine the last two posts they work together great =) thanx for your help

Tope's responce

Tope I tried the info from the link you gave on my girl friends computer and it worked great - thxs

Sage

Glad it worked for you Sage, I saw it posted in another forum, at one time, thought it might come in handy one day. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back