CD labels are they a bad idea?

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi
Are cd labels such as the kits made by Neto, a bad idea ? I have heard in the past that they can unbalance your cd or dvd but is this really the case if its stuck down perfectly?

Cheers :)

I've used them before and as long as you stick it down well (most come with a special applicator) then you shouldn't have a problem (getting them to line up in the printer i another issue! :))

Hi,
I myself have been looking for an affordable alternative to stick on labels for a while now. I used them quite a bit in the past, and though they never had any affect on the actual cd quality,(to the best of my knowledge) they do tend to bubble and peel after a few plays or just sitting for a while.(heat maybe?) :cool:
anyway, alot of folks use em with no complaints, so you'll probly be ok as long as you get em lined up with yer printer ok like Khayman said. but they don't hold that "professional" look for long.
Later.

My biggest problem is printing images onto the cd label itself...really is hard to align it correctly with the software :)

I've heard of ppl saying that some labels use to eat away at the top of the cd (and the top holds the data) and would eventually would cause data loss. What labels or what brand(s) of cd's are most likely to be effected I'm not sure.

I don't use labels anymore as they are expensive and a cd pens works just as well for just jotting songs on them. :)

cd labels are a bad idea.

1) they can throw off the balance. Not a big deal in a music player, but imagine the unbalanded disc spinning at 52x...
2) the glue can eat thru the top of the disc which is actually closer to the data than the bottom.
3) the label can peel off, taking the top layer and/or data layer with it.

Have a read here: http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=891&highlight=dvd

I've heard that rumor of the glue eating them, but I never actually met anyone who's experienced it...anyone?
Anyway, some printers and even some kinko's locations do offer thermal printing. Of course you hafta buy the cds' that'll accept it, and the process is kinda pricey, but it's definitly the way to get the best looking disc.

thanx 4 the readin material dreamliner - good stuff.
:D

I've personally never had a problem with them, but in my perspective, the CD's going to end up sat in a DVD/CD drive/player, so I don't really care what it looks like :p

Give me a CD-r pen any day :D

ApparitionX said:
I've heard that rumor of the glue eating them, but I never actually met anyone who's experienced it...anyone?
:D

*Raises hand

The other thing I forgot to mention:
Due to different thermal expansion properties of the polycarbonate, glue and paper it can put undo stress on the disc when the drive heats up.

ok, right. so it's heat, pretty much what I thought. just seemed to make sense, but Ive still never heard of anyone actually having problems other than peeling and the discs being unbalanced. both of which I have experienced. Now I just use a sharpie.

ApparitionX said:
ok, right. so it's heat, pretty much what I thought. just seemed to make sense, but Ive still never heard of anyone actually having problems other than peeling and the discs being unbalanced. both of which I have experienced. Now I just use a sharpie.

Sharpies are a no-go too. They are chemical based and can eat thru the top layer of polycarbonate. (don't believe me? If i can get a good scan of one my discs, i'll post it).

Go for a water based marker.

My experience

Pretty much cd labels are ok on cd's, but keep in mind that you should make sure you apply evenly and firmly.

BUT DONOT!, apply paper labels to DVD's, unlike cd's that hold only a 4th of the data required, DVD's have to remain a constant balanced speed and over time, if not immediately, warping, bubbles and/or the ends partially lifting will cause irrepairable damage.

Ask yourself how important is it really to have any label on your dvd, other then using a felt tip to title the dvd, is it to have a label that you will only see for the few seconds it takes to remove from the case and into your dvd player?

The only thing I label and can be much more enjoyable, as it sits on your coffee table, to see is the case insert.

Just say no to dvd labels, you'll thank yourself years to come.

CD's and DVD's have the same substrate (polycarbonate) so the label is a bad idea in both cases. The amount of data is insignificant.

dreamliner77 said:
Sharpies are a no-go too. They are chemical based and can eat thru the top layer of polycarbonate. (don't believe me? If i can get a good scan of one my discs, i'll post it).

Go for a water based marker.

I guess I shoulda clarified a little more...I just use sharpie brand cd pens nowadays.
and yeah, if you can get a good scan I would like to see it, not cuz I don't believe you, but cuz I never have seen a cd that'd been affected like that.

I have cd's I labeled with "sharpie brand" pens 5 years ago that sit in the cd drive most of the time. No problems have occured.

I also have cd's I used paper labels on 3-4 years ago and have had no problems.

As always it depends on the quality of the materials and the quality of the application.

Use good brand labels, use a label application device, clean the cd surface with amonnia (not alcohol, alcohol promotes cracking in polycarbonate) to remove oils and dirt.

If you want to remove sharpie ink use an organic (real, not cheap ass synthetic) "orange oil" based cleaner. The sharpie comes right off. Do not use acetone :-(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back