Cd Key question re: Windows XP Pro

F

FunkyBunnies

Well, I have done something very stupid. I bought Windows XP Pro OEM version several months ago and I put the little sticker with my cd-key on the back of a jewel case and put my cd in it. Well, for some reason my cd and my jewel case got separated and now I cannot find my jewel case.

So, my delema is this. I own Windows XP Pro, have the CD in front of me, but can't install it because I lost my cd-key. I know, I am stupid. I have turned my house inside out looking for it, but it is nowhere to be found. I was wondering if there is anything legal I can do to get Windows XP installed again on my machine? Oh, yeah, I re-partitioned my hard drive and installed linux and Windows 2000 and was starting to install XP when I realized my cd-key was missing....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The only thing you could do is call Microsoft and see what they say. Other than that, there is nothing else you can do but find that jewel case. The sticker that you get when you receive Windows XP is supposed to be placed on your computer, not your jewel case BTW.

[edit.madmatt]content in violation of forum guidelines. those kinds of ideas/suggestions will not be tolerated on the xp-erience forums. please refrain from this in the future. thank you.[/edit]

He shouldn't use illegal ways. That is theft of a software. His biggest problem is:

I was wondering if there is anything legal I can do to get Windows XP installed again on my machine?

If he uses any key other than the one that came with his CD, it will not activate.

I would try calling Microsoft. They are not as bas as you would think. I had to call them when I tried to upgrade from Word 2002 to Office XP when I bought my notebook. They were understanding.

Microsoft is usually understanding, and that's no joke.

I agree with matt - for all the raps they get, MS will more often than not work with you very nicely.

Well, just tried Microsoft support...they want $35 per incident for the retail version if you don't have a PID (that you can only get if you have it installed). Also, mine is an OEM version and they said they don't support that. If I wanted to purchase a support plan it would be like $240 or something...

I guess I just need to find my cd case with my cd-key....bummer.

~ FunkyBunnies ~

the key ? take this

DELETED
send me more info on your xp pro ( beta,rtm,)
regards

We don't give out keys here

Jewelzz

pacou - oh, oh -that's a no, no!

edit> I must be getting slow in my old age<edit

Originally posted by Jewelzz
Nah, I have my warez, crack,key sensor on today. :D

LMAO - but of course - I am no match for "the fastest moderator in the west"

:p

I own Windows XP Pro... I am not looking to pirate anything. I just want to know how I can get Windows XP installed if I lost my cd-key...

FunkieBunnies - we know you are not trying to pirate anything. We provided info to help you out within the forum guidelines. I don't believe anyone is down on you - just the individual who tried to provide the key - which is against forum guidelines!

Originally posted by FunkyBunnies
I own Windows XP Pro... I am not looking to pirate anything. I just want to know how I can get Windows XP installed if I lost my cd-key...

Hope I can say this. I apologize now if my post is not allowed.

I say use a corp key, if you can, until you find your jewel case. Just for the fact that you have it installed and once you find the case, you change the key without haing to reformat. Just my input.

why is talking about warez so taboo? its about as naive/foolish as a parent thinking their children aren't having sex. its not like your setting up an ftp server with warez trading here so why not just be able to talk about it? if not then people you should private message others if you plan on helping them without publicly posting for moderators to edit.

after the fact

but next time write the serial# on the cd itself

sorry but i dunno how to get a new one

have you still got XP Pro running? you can get your CDKey in the register

Star > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

should be there ;)

no, I don't have it installed....I had my drive reformatted before I realized I didn't have my key....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back